Nightly KODI sync on home desktops
I have 5 Windows 10 desktops in the house dedicated to various functions. I want to end up with each PC having its own instance of KODI, but only want to make my tweaks/changes on my main PC ( eg new skins, add-ons etc) and have them seamlessly replicated to the other PC's overnight (via a third party sync app) , so that the family can simple "use" KODI on the den pc, its basically all there.

I do exacly this now for iTunes and other apps, where media files and meta data files are synced up automatically at 3am via an automated script. In this way, I cam set-it-and-forget-it. This is not a client server arrangement, simply a clean way to have independent machines with similar content and configurations. Also give me some extra insurance by having multiple backups.

Can I do the same with Kodi, by simply copying, each night, all the files in Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Kodi from the main pc to each of the other pc'[s?
no,
guisettings.xml contain device specific settings (display/audio) which can cause big issues if installed on another one. It also contains all skins setting till v15. It might work, it might not
The rest of the files can be copied yes.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks

As I am still in the pre-construction stage ( family still on cable) I will give it a shot and report back.

If it doesn't work, what do other users typically do in this case, Simple repeat the tweaks on each pc?
Yes
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
Well, very pleased to report the auto-synced files worked beautifully.

I now have the Kodi 'master' config on my main machine totally in sync with pc in the den, and the pc in the basement. This is ideal, especially as I am making tons of changes (incl skin changes) during these first few weeks of use.

Granted this may have all been pure luck, and I may discover anomalies down the road, but for now, its seems to be fine , so I am a happy camper.

My Plan B was to sync the backups files (but that would require I go to each remote machine and restore files on each, every time ; not practical) . Plan C was to manually keep track of the changes and repeat the tweaks on each remote machine (not practical). The auto nightly sync is of course better and seamless.

There are many 'sync' tools out there ; I used Vice-Versa. My pcs were a mix of Dell 8500, Dell 9200, and a DIY ( based on an ASUS motherboard).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nightly KODI sync on home desktops0