Unicode Characters
I'm trying to display a string of text with a unicode character at the end... I'm pretty sure that below is correct, but the end result is: test ⍻

Code:
mylabel = 'test' + u'\U0001F551'

unicode character i'm trying to use: http://unicode-table.com/en/1F551/

according to the site above the symbol should work with Arial font, which is what i'm using in Kodi... any ideas?
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I'm no unicode expert - as those amazing individuals who have submitted unicode fixes to scripts I've contributed to will happily confirm - but how are you actually using the final property, and are you .decode("utf-8")/.encode("utf-8")'ing as appropriate and as the output requires?
(2015-08-29, 01:48)Lunatixz Wrote: according to the site above the symbol should work with Arial font, which is what i'm using in Kodi... any ideas?

The real question is: does your font really have the correct character set that is correctly mapped to symbol codes? The symbol you need may be not at its right place.
the arial font shipped with kodi doesn't include that character:

i'm not sure why it's being replaced by a '⍻' at your end...
if i test it in kodi, i get this, which seems correct for missing characters:

Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks for the replies, @ronie is right... Arial font shipped with kodi doesn't have the symbol.

I checked my windows font originally, then assumed all fonts are equal by name.. they are not Sad

Also learned the stock kodi "arial" font, isn't even "arial" it's DejaVu Sans... hmm

Most "arial" fonts from custom skins are true to the name, but not the packaged font, story behind that?

Thanks again
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2015-08-29, 15:56)Lunatixz Wrote: story behind that?

we used to ship with the arial font. at one point we replaced it by a fontfile that is a collection of several other fontfiles merged into one.
this was done in order to support as many charactersets as possible (chinese/ russian / etc..)

it think we kept the arial name to not break all skins that supported the arial font included in core.
in confluence, we changed the name from 'arial' to 'arial based' to reflect this change.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unicode Characters0