confused newbie
I've been using WMC for years. I have no TV in my den, just a cable-box (STB) and my computer. It has worked great, but WMC will be gone in Win10. I read that Kodi is really good for watching TV. After installing it I'm getting very confused. The wiki isn't helping much, either. In fact, not at all. I first clicked "enable" (TV), and it complained about a PVR plugin. I'm still not sure how I did it but I ended up with a list of them and chose one (Media Portal, I think). I have no idea if that was a good choice. How would I know? Now it continually pops up saying "MediaPortal PVR client connection lost".

I figured I better stop before I really screw up something. Can anyone guide me on how to watch TV with this? That's all I want. I don't need to control the channels or anything else (the STB and remote are fine). It just needs to display the one channel output by the STB. I have PRISM TV, and am connecting with S-Video to my Hauppauge HVR-1290 card (combo ATSC/QAM).

Any help would be appreciated.
Kodi is a front end client. You must have a backend server to use TV. The setup is not nearly as simple as WMC. I currently use Win7 WMC as a backend. The TV stream gets sent forward to Kodi. If you do not have access to WMC, I'd suggest Mediaportal, which seems to be pretty easy to setup. You must install MediaPortal, set up the tv signals, then enable the Mediaportal plugin in Kodi.

http://kodi.wiki/view/MediaPortal_TV-Server

I only have experience with WMC and MediaPortal. There are obviously others that work well... TV setup is kind of an advanced Kodi skill, but it only takes a bit of reading.
I have Media Portal setup. There is likely a problem with the encoders (so their people tell me) because the audio and video lose sync (by several seconds). That's why I thought I would try Kodi. But if Kodi needs MP to work, then I don't really see the benefit of Kodi.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be uninstalling this as it isn't useful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
confused newbie0