Linux Difference between kodi and kodi-standalone
Upon searching the reasons for different remote control behaviour in "normal start mode" and "window manager start mode" I am wondering what the difference between
  • "/usr/bin/kodi"
  • "/usr/bin/kodi-standalone"
is. can someone enlighten me?

The desktop launcher starts
  • Fullscreen: "kodi -fs"
  • Standalone: "kodi --standalone"
  • Default: "kodi"
Is "kodi --standalone" equivalent to "kodi-standalone"?

And when I change the window manager to "Kodi" on the login screen in Ubuntu, this starts /usr/share/xsessions/kodi.desktop and therefore kodi-standalone, right?
both "kodi binaries" are just wrapper scripts that do the same thing, call kodi, without and with --standalone.
The difference is:
- normal mode is made to run on top of a window manager
- standalone mode runs on top of plain X, without a WM
Necroing this as I just asked a similar question.

Installed on Ubuntu Server (14.04 and 16.04), with only X and no window manager, I can call xinit to launch either kodi or kodi --standalone. Kodi launches fine either way.

When kodi is called, does it look for a window manager and fall back to standalone if none is found?
(2018-03-06, 00:13)cub88 Wrote: Necroing this as I just asked a similar question.

Installed on Ubuntu Server (14.04 and 16.04), with only X and no window manager, I can call xinit to launch either kodi or kodi --standalone. Kodi launches fine either way.

When kodi is called, does it look for a window manager and fall back to standalone if none is found?
 The option standalone has nothing to do with a window manager (docs/wiki is wrong). With standalone Kodi is i.e. allowed to power the system down and users can change refresh rate in settings dialog.

Running Kodi without a window manager may work but is not a supported and tested scenario.
Thanks so much, that's all I wanted to know. Even the CLI usage banner describes --standalone as "without a window manager", hence my confusion.
Quote:With standalone Kodi is i.e. allowed to power the system down
That's not completely true, Kodi can power the system down in "normal mode", too. The difference is that in standalone mode, Kodi will by default power down instead of just quitting because quitting does not make sense in a standalone scenario. Also, in standalone mode UDev devices will be mounted by default while they won't be in normal mode. That's about the differences I could find (plus the refresh rate option that you mentioned).
Ah, that may explain why partitions I have mounted under /media are showing up auto-magically in "Files" as USB drives. Will test and see. Also as a side note noticed the kodi-standalone script handles launching of some pulseaudio stuff as well. Thanks fellas.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference between kodi and kodi-standalone0