Win TV Shows - Directory Structure
Hi All,

I'm trying to get a better understanding on how to organize TV shows ripped from DVD.

The guide at this link makes references for a single file only but does not cover DVD rips (no compression)

When copying the TV shows from DVD, The files are placed in the regular structure of ShowName S#D# / VIDEO_TS.
Each disk contains multiple episodes.

If I understand correctly, according to the guide referenced above, this structure should work:

ShowName / Season # / Disk # / VIDEO_TS (For example: Avatar/Season1/Disk1/)

Is this correct or should I be using

ShowName / Season#-Disk# / VIDEO_TS (for example: Avatar/S1D1/)

Or should I use a complete different structure?

Thanks

Eyal
Thanks,

Eyal

Current HTPC
  • MSI Z87-GD65 Mobo
  • Intel Core i5 4440 Haswell CPU
  • 2x Vengeance 8GB DDR3
  • 3x WD RED 2TB SATA3 6GB HD (RAID-Data)
  • 1x Baracuda 1TB SATA3 6GB HD (OS)
  • HX850 850W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified PSU
  • Silverstone LC16 HTPC Case

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=61448 Is a post talking about this.

My opinion is that you convert the files to .mkv or .mp4 container types vice the .ts

There are many converters out there. I like Handbrake.

Then you can use a program like Filebot to mass rename files into proper SxxEyy format that is friendly to Kodi or anything else you do. The idea is that you get your files to match up with moviedb or TVDB. That way you can always keep track of your shows.

If you want to do your specials as well, then they are named S00Eyy look them up in TVDB for numbering.
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
Only use Handbrake if you want to compress the file - if however you want a full 1:1 copy, minus the menus - use MakeMKV, which will break the DVD into individual episodes - then follow the suggestion to use Filebot.
Thanks for your replies but I am not interested in converting the shows to compressed files. Quality of picture is very important to me and I would like to keep the movies in their original format. also, I have plenty of storage (4 x 2TB configured as RAID5) so space is not an issue.

Is this the only way?
Thanks,

Eyal

Current HTPC
  • MSI Z87-GD65 Mobo
  • 2x Vengeance 8GB DDR3

No and wasn't suggesting that you did, but using MakeMKV isn't losing any picture or sound quality, just converting to a different container as a 1:1 copy. Only offering this as an alternative, sorry can't help with the naming.

Worth having a look around at other media players - few if any are supporting to any great extent DVD and or BluRay folder strucutures - particularly for TV Shows.
(2015-09-04, 21:11)steelman1991 Wrote: No and wasn't suggesting that you did, but using MakeMKV isn't losing any picture or sound quality, just converting to a different container as a 1:1 copy. Only offering this as an alternative, sorry can't help with the naming.

Worth having a look around at other media players - few if any are supporting to any great extent DVD and or BluRay folder strucutures - particularly for TV Shows.

I am actually learning allot from this conversation so please do keep it coming ;-)

I understand your point but it does adds an extra step which requires additional time.Also, I would like to keep the menus

I wonder if ripping the DVD to ISO file instead of VIDEO_TS folder would help or does it have to be in a specific pre-defined format/container?

Also seem to me that Show/Season/Disc should be standard for determining the show and season and associate the episodes.

Any idea as to why the player can't read the structure of the folders and determine the season/disk etc? I remember using MyMovies on Windows Media Center and it was able to determine the show/season/disk based on the folder structure and then the episodes were pulled from the IFO files.... just curious
Thanks,

Eyal

Current HTPC
  • MSI Z87-GD65 Mobo
  • 2x Vengeance 8GB DDR3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Shows - Directory Structure0