MultiTask Manager
I don't know if anyone has had this idea before, but i know it would be _really_ dificult and to see it as a long-time proposal (and my friends laught at me with the idea), but i told here so it could be discuss.

All we know XBox has the one-proccess limit, but it can handle several threads. In fact a proccess and a thread are the same thing (one handle by the OS, the other handle by the programs), so this is my idea: if you compile something agains a OS dependent libraries that let you use it's features, there would be posible implement some libraries that could let "fake" the system, so you could run several programs compiled agains that special libraries but from the XBox point-of-view there's only one proccess running: XBMC.

As i have say, this would be really dificult because there is to build almost a complete OS (dinamic libraries support, proccess handling...) and maybe would a completly new project that would be useless with ReactOS starting to be run over XBox, but i have thought several times that this would be an interesting point of discussion: there would be throusands of apps that could be able to run without modification and without need of XDK Smile
i don't know where to start. oh yes i do, i'll start with laughing.

extrapolating all the attention openxdk has gotten, your grand-grand-grand-grand children MAY enjoy horrible simulated multitasking on the xbox. HURRAH! its windows 3.11 all over again.

we'll just ignore the little fact that all xbox apps expect 64mb ram available (of which we can offer to none of them), the little troubles with implementing a separate xbe launcher (cause, you obviously can't use ANYTHING of the provided xdk calls) and the list goes on.
It's not exactly pass-away all the XDK functions, just to let the ability to have a more-conventional and versalite development platform. I have found some minutos ago the Snake XBMC game (cool... Big Grin ). Well, think for a moment that you can install compiled programs and run them concurrency without problems: in the same way you could play Snake Wink you could be using aMule, serving web pages, copiing FTP files... and everything at a pseudo-proccess. XBMC would be able of not implement everything, you can install and execute only what you want when you want and the program conversion would be very quick. In fact, the idea started some month ago when i bought the XBox when a ask to my friends how dificult would be to implement all W2k not-implement windows functions over the W2k XBox kernel to allow Windows programs to run at XBox. There's a lot of not-so-old games waiting to run at XBox (Half Live 1? Tomb Raider 1? Wink ).

At least i have make happy to someone :p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MultiTask Manager0