What to run Kodi on? Intel NUC?
Hey guys.

So Kodi for me is currently running on an old tower computer, I'd like to replace it. I would prefer something smaller and a bit more discrete, but I would still like for it to be responsive in menus and be able to play large files(Think 15GB 1080p BluRay).

So what should I be looking at? The Intel NUC's caught my eye, I will most likely be trying out their i5 version if I cannot find anything better.
Any other ideas of what to run it on?

Stefan.
I would look at the new Celeron NUCs. The i5 is major overkill these days. The newest Celeron NUCs can even handle h.265/HEVC in hardware (no Kodi support for that yet, as it is "bleeding edge").
(2015-08-31, 01:36)Ned Scott Wrote: I would look at the new Celeron NUCs. The i5 is major overkill these days. The newest Celeron NUCs can even handle h.265/HEVC in hardware (no Kodi support for that yet, as it is "bleeding edge").

I see, do you have a link to one of those? When googling I think I'm finding the older celeron ones.

EDIT: For future-proofing, would a celeron one still be enough? Just a tad worried of buying one and having it either lag during 1080p playback, or be unable to play something I throw at it in a year or so.

Stefan.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=227882 < This should help
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
Just bought a Intel NUC NUC5CPYH with RAM + an SSD, will let you guys know how it works!

Thanks for all the help.

Stefan.
Enjoy - 1080p is easy enough to not even stress out 8 Year old Hardware (one of my HTPCs is Athlon 64 3000+ with NVidia 8400GS - plays 1080p files >20gb in size fine..) so a celeron of today (braswell generation) should be fine for almost anything.
Is it capable of playing any games?
I have several 2840 NUCs and an i5 version and one new Pentium NUC on order, all running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

Pros:
Can be used as a full fledged computer
Reasonable support

Cons
Expensive for what you get when you add RAM & drive
Slow to boot
Forced updates on Windows 10 (entry level)

I also bought a few (four) Dell ChromeBoxes on sale for $129 and have them running OpenELEC and they (for a Kodi box) are more efficient (faster loading/less WAF issues), faster loading and simple to maintain.

I am looking forward to the new Pentium based Intel NUC and exploring the Pros/Cons
Hmmm, I have a older NUC, and from pressing the power button, to being in Kodi takes 9 seconds (timed it yesterday). Mine is an i5 (not a celeron), with 8Gigs of Ram, and SSD drive. Did you install 'ALL' the drivers for your NUC? Including the Storage Drivers?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What to run Kodi on? Intel NUC?0