Bitrate Switching and HLS
We would expect that a lot of streaming users would benefit from adaptive bitrate switching. Would others agree?

We had hoped to develop this feature ourselves but that is not going to be anytime soon unfortunately. We have a lot on our roadmap before this.

What is the process for getting this or other feature suggestions developed by Kodi developers? Are they voted on by users, or developers, or...?
you wait and see if a dev is interested in doing it.
So... just leave this thread as it is right here and wait and see or...?
..or code it yourself. That's basically how open source development works.
If we could, we would. Ours is an ultra new project and we are under resourced. We have one volunteer coder who has done Kodi addons before, but not Kodi core programming.

The addition of Adaptive Bitrate Switching in Kodi would benefit countless users, not just our project. Anyone who streams a http/rtmp or rtsp playlists really. It would also likely reduce support requests from users complaining about caching and buffering problems too. This feature would be good for everyone involved.

Is anyone willing or interested?
You know you are in likely violation of our forum rules that your username is exactly the same as your company/project.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
It wasn't intentional... i must have missed that rule... my apologies. There appears to be no way of changing my username i just discovered. This is just the username i use for things relating to the project. I'm not deliberately trying to promote the project... i haven't even filled in the website url/link on my profile. Even if someone Googled us, they'd be lucky to find us... we're probably on page 60 of the results. None the less, i will create a new account if requested.
Addressing this Kodi shortcoming doesn't interest anyone...? The VLC Mobile team were very interested in introducing Adaptive Bitrate Streaming and they've just released in it some recent Nightly Builds... but perhaps they have more time (or a bigger dev team) than you guys.

Also, let me know if i need to change my login.
LivingStreamsTV is now LS-TV.

As no one here appears to be interested in working on adaptive bitrate switching, we are looking at recruiting (and possibly even paying) an external developer... unless a suitably qualified/experienced developer here is interested in talking further.

We gather various parts of Kodi are coded in different languages, so what language/s would an external developer need to know to introduce adaptive bitrate switching?

What are the code submission requirements for code to be included in Kodi?

Is there anything else we should know or take into consideration before embarking on this endeavor?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitrate Switching and HLS0