Does kodi run well on the Fire TV box?
Hey,

I want to buy a fire TV for kodi and for some other things, I am pretty sure that it will run it well as it has killer specs for a streamer, but I saw one video that looked like it ran really bad and a few that showed that it ran very smoothly. Does anyone here have a fire TV and can tell me whether it runs good or not?
Also I figured it I'll put it here as the Fire TV is after all, based on Android.

Thanks
It works well with a few exceptions. One issue is no native 24fps support so if you are sensitive to judder then this might be a problem. Also no VC-1 hardware decoding so any older BluRays or other material encoded this way will stutter as the software decoding is not quite powerful to keep up (at least in my experience). The Bluetooth remote makes operation easy, no line of sight needed between remote and FTV. I use the FTV and FTV stick, but have also just built a Pi2 as my main Kodi player as it deals with the 24fps & VC-1 issues (providing you buy the MPEG2 and VC-1 video codec licences for the Pi). I've also bought a Bluetooth adapter and Fire remote for the Pi2, just need to get them paired and set up now!
I need to know can you watch live tv with this?
(2015-08-31, 18:43)Adam22 Wrote: I need to know can you watch live tv with this?

Depends what your source is.

The Fire TV isn't great for Live TV from a local Live TV backend (TV Headend, MythTV, VDR etc.) as it doesn't have great deinterlacing. However if you have a TV Catchup Plugin which supports Live channels - like SVT Play or NRK Net TV, then that may well work OK.

If you are talking about illegal plugins that stream copyright content that you'd normally subscribe to, that stuff isn't discussed here.
Fire TV/Stick really is only any good for casual Kodi use and especially if you want HD paid video streams from Netflix, Amazon etc. It has a decent remote.
You would not use it if you want perfect 23.976/59.94Hz video output, its also missing dynamic refresh rate switching which is needed for perfectly synced Kodi video playback.

HD deinterlacing of TV does not work with Hardware acceleration enabled either, definitely not recommended for broadcast TV use.

Suggestion, get a Fire TV stick for HD Netflix, Amazon, Android etc and then also a C1 / RPi2 / Chromebox for OpenELEC / Kodi use. Don't try and do it all with the one device. You will not get optimal results.

FYI it looks like there may be new Fire TV hardware in the near future, so now would not be a good time to buy one.
I am very happy with my AFTV box. I however, only have 720p videos and no live TV. I do watch some streaming sports via a Kodi add-on as well as some internet music via another add-on.
All my media is on my NAS.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does kodi run well on the Fire TV box?0