Win Is H265 hardware decoding supported on the nVidia GTX 950
Question 
The nVidia GTX 950 came out two weeks ago, the next in the 9xx generation. Full hardware decoding for HEVC / H265 is present on both the GTX 960 / 950 (and partially on the 970).

I was just wondering if Kodi was able to use it when playing back H265 / HEVC videos on Windows?

Thank you!
From this post it looks like Kodi 15 should be able to do HW decoding of HEVC content on Windows if you've got the hardware.
Kodi is my application of choice for HEVC playback. I have a GTX 980 in my HTPC and that's overkill. A GTX 950 should be perfect for HEVC video.

As an aside, I also stream HEVC video on my home network to Kodi on an X1 Carbon with Intel graphics running Linux Mint. Silky smooth. The relatively low bit-rate is perfect for streaming.
Thanks for your answers! Some rumours indicated nVidia would launch lower-end GT 940 & GT 930, with possibly hardware decoding of HEVC as well, but so far nothing. I feel like the $200 GTX 950 is still kind of overkill in an HTPC solely used for playing back videos :/
(2015-09-03, 20:26)rmrector Wrote: From this post it looks like Kodi 15 should be able to do HW decoding of HEVC content on Windows if you've got the hardware.

only on windows Huh
I suppose it works on Linux with 950 , isn't it ?
HEVC 8 bit works with kodi 16 nightlies.

HEVC 10 bit does not yet work in windows and linux. There was an experimental hevc 10 bit by afedchin arround somewhere, though. In linux vdpau misses the facility for 10 bit interop - ffmpeg also has not support as of now for hevc 10 bit via vdpau.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'm still using Kodi 14.2 Helix and have had mixed results with 8-bit H.265 HEVC encoded content depending on the hardware.

Intel NUC D54250WYK (4th Gen)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4250U processor
Chipset: Intel Haswell
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 5000
Result - no problems.

ASRock ION 3D
CPU: Intel® Atom D525 Dual Core Processor
Chipset: Intel® ICH8M chipset
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz
Graphics: NVIDIA® GT218-ION Graphics
Result - not a chance!

It's given me good reason to look to finally put my old ASRock out to pasture and upgrade Smile
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is H265 hardware decoding supported on the nVidia GTX 9500