Poll: What display-device (TV) do you use with XBMC?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Front Projection Unit (Home Cinema)
27.70%
50+ inch Plasma/LCD (125 cm or larger)
23.47%
40-47 inch Plasma/LCD (100-120 cm)
18.60%
32-37 inch Plasma/LCD (80-99 cm)
14.38%
32-37 inch CRT (80-99 cm)
12.37%
20-30 inch Plasma/LCD (50-79 cm)
1.06%
20-30 inch CRT (50-79 cm)
2.43%
Total
946 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

• 4(current)
What display-device (TV) do you use with XBMC Media Center?
XBMC on my XBOX is running on a Panasonic 42" Plasma
XBMC on my Laptop is also running on my Panasonic 42" Plasma (only use it when I want to watch a 720 or 1080 movie) Smile
Question 
Hey Guys,

Looking to purchase a new TV to replace my Sony 42" RPTV and was wondering what everyone else was running with their Mac. I'm looking for something around 52" and would like to make sure I don't have to do any tinkering when connecting my Mac Mini.

Let's hear what TV you have!

Matt
Mitsubishi WD-65411. It has *HUGE* overscan, and a VGA input that requires that the signal be split into 5 cables. It was manufactured in 2002 or 2003. I would not suggest this TV for this type of application, but I'm too stingy to buy a new one.
Subtitles - Serious Business
Something with an HDMI or DVI input is typically best, and for the most part is an easy set-up. VGA is workable but can be problematic in many cases.

1080P is ideal if you can spare the funds. 720P works very well also.

LCD, Plasma, DLP, and other digital formats are all best. CRT is a headache in a half on it's own, let alone getting the picture perfect with OSXBMC.

I've used LiCos (LCD projector), LCD (panel), and CRT (rear projection).

Anything else is going to be more specific to your budget, install location, seating location, personal preferences, etc.
One of these days I plan to take my mbp to Frys or somewhere similar along with a DVI-HDMI cable and play with all the TVs. This feels like a good idea to me.
Subtitles - Serious Business
bmfrosty Wrote:One of these days I plan to take my mbp to Frys or somewhere similar along with a DVI-HDMI cable and play with all the TVs. This feels like a good idea to me.

Always helpful. Keep in find the sets have typically been messed with to high heaven, plus with the set-up menu, and service menu (in some cases & for the brave) you can make a bad set look great. or in some cases a great set break.

=)
mtehonica Wrote:Hey Guys,

Looking to purchase a new TV to replace my Sony 42" RPTV and was wondering what everyone else was running with their Mac. I'm looking for something around 52" and would like to make sure I don't have to do any tinkering when connecting my Mac Mini.

Let's hear what TV you have!

Matt

I have an LCD samsung 32' up to 720p and 1080i, i wish i had 42'+ put it was a gift from the bank for using the credit card. Works great, i would love to have something bigger really, the only thing that bugs me is the size, but anything above 42' or 42' is fine for me. LCD is the way just look for the VGA port ATLEAST i have a macbook running through VGA and works GREAT. Its the best simple as that.
The main problem with VGA is that on many sets the VGA resolution support is far more limited then DVI/HDMI.

But VGA is prefered over composite or S-Video.
I gots a Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK
I have a Philips 32PF9632. All my A/V go through a Denon 2808 receiver, video through HDMI and audio optical. 'Had' to get this Denon to get all my stuff to work properly on my TV (X360, PS3, WII, XBOX(BMC) and now Mac Mini. Works like a charm and looks great at 720p, have no need for 1080 till i get a bigger house and tv. Smile
I have a Samsung LE46F86BD. It's an awesome TV (it was a 40th birthday present to myself)
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
I have a Panasonic TH-42PX80, connected from a Mac Mini DVI -> HDMI. Works perfectly.
Mine is a Toshiba Regza 42 X3030D, FullHD great entry price and easy setup, just plug and play.
I have 2 separate setups:

Livingroom: MacMini connected through DVI>HDMI to a Samsung HLT6187S 61" LED/DLP projector set to 1920x1080 (1080p)

Bedroom: AOpen MiniDuo MP965D using Win32 port on a Vizio VX32L 32" LCD set to 1280x720 (720p). Using DVI>HDMI.

Audio output is through the SPDIF on the Livingroom machine, not through HDMI. In fact I'm not sure it's even doable as this is not native HDMI, rather it's through the DVI with an adapter, so the SPDIF works just fine connected to my Pioneer AV receiver.

In the bedroom I just use analog audio out since I don't have a separate AV receiver.
TV? Please

Panasonic PT-AX200U front projector onto a 150" screen. DVI-HDMI from the mac mini works fantasic at all resolutions (including 1080/24) with no tweaking or need for SwitchResX, etc.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What display-device (TV) do you use with XBMC Media Center?1