Kodi won't connect to wireless dongle
Hi All,

You guys helped me get connected in the early days so I'm hoping you can help me now Tongue

I'm assuming this is because I've recently changed my router but the problem is, I don't know how to resolve it.

I'm using a TP-LINK TL-WN823N 300MBPS WIRELESS 802.11B/G/N MINI USB ADAPTER WIFI

I was originally connecting it to an old sky router (approx 4 years old) ....a Sagem I think. Anyway, it connected instantly.

Now I've just upgraded to their new router as can be seen here http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/sky-hub/

When I turn Kodi on it can see the connection but when I click to connect it just does nothing. I've hard wired it and it connects instantly without even asking me for the password Confused

Does anyone know whether I can get this to connect or do I need a new dongle?

Thanks
Anyone?
Bump
Stating which OS you are using would be a good start, better than bumping anyway.

Although as it worked with the old router, and doesn't work with the new router, it would appear to be a router/dongle incompatibility and not really a software issue - have you asked on the Sky forum?

I guess the obvious thing to do would be to check the security is configured correctly on both the dongle and router, make sure it's set to WPA2-AES in case the new router doesn't support your old security method, and also try a different channel.

Failing that, try a different dongle (one that isn't based on a crappy Realtek chipset).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks mate, I am using OpenElec on an RPI2... Not much else installed tbh.

I've not checked elsewhere because I assumed that someone else might've had the Same issue. Should I plug the dongle into my main PC and see what the config is? Not sure how to check it otherwise.
I've just submitted a post on the sky forum so fingers crossed
You need to configure the dongle through the OpenELEC setttings add-on, I think (don't know for sure, I avoid WiFi dongles like the plague). Any setting you use on the PC is unlikely to be used by OpenELEC on the Pi.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
It won't let me do anything on the settings though. It'll let me see it but when I click on it, it does nothing!?
Sky forum post has been read 219 times, no responses! Surely I can't be the only one to ever experience this problem ffs
I have TP-LINK TL-WN823N on Pi2 and it works well with my OE (Milhouse Build #0829), but it has also worked with standard OE (I installed that first then upgraded to the Milhouse builds)

Suggest you go to SYSTEM>OpenELEC>Connections
Then select the appropriate WIFI connection and delete it.
Then add it back (it is possible that it has remembered some configuration data from your previous router).

Mike
If the above fails...Look what 'dmesg' shows you. See if it's connected fine. Maybe you could check with 'lsusb', too.

It's quiet normal, that you won't be asked for a password if you use a wired connection, because it gets the IP via DHCP. Be sure, you have set a password for wifi. Openelec won't work with unprotected wifis.
Cheers Mike, I'll try that.

@David how do I do that? Complete noob tbh!
Be sure you have a good power supply and USB cable to the Pi. Not enough amps can cause a USB wifi dongle to fail.
I had the same problem with another USB WiFi dongle, and I solved it using a USB extension cable.
Don't ask me why, but without the extension it didn't work.

Now it's always connected
Deleting the connection options didn't work but hey ho..

I use an official power adaptor so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure what you mean about having an extended USB cable though? My Rpi2 has the power cable, HDMI and then two dongles. One for the remote and one for the wifi. They're is no extended USB?

On a side note...the time and date on the Kodi was bang up to date even though wifi wasn't connecting. This only usually occurs when there is a wifi connection. Either I'm getting intermittent connection or it has kept its memory from when I hard wired it on the testing phase,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi won't connect to wireless dongle0