TV Surround Sound
Dear Kodis

I am a newbie so be patient please!

i am having difficulties getting surround to play through the Kodi TV interface.
I realise that not all tv channels broadcast at 5.1 all the time, however in WMC all my tv channels were encoded and would come out surround, true dts surround not just stereo through my 5 speakers, I use optical out from my sound card to back of my receiver. - if that makes sense!

I have got this working in DVB viewer by using ac3 filter for the mpg2 decoding and it works fine, however i want it to work in Kodi!

Works fine watching MKV films, great DTS sound, but just cannot get it to work with TV, is there a codec i put in add ons?

i have tried so may things, all diff direct sources, pass through, 2 channel, 6 channel 5.1 but just wont work on the tv...

thanks Guys...

my set up

Windows 8.1
DVB Viewer
Latest Kodi
TBS Dual Tuuner for Freesat
Asus Xonar DS sound card
Marantz AV Receiver
Bose 5.1 Speakers
I think you are getting a little confused. If you have DTS working fine from your MKV files, then that shows that the audio is correctly setup. DTS/Dolby/5.1 should play through all of your six speakers.

Get MediaInfo (http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) installed and look at what your video source file is. If the source says it is a 2.0 stereo file, then KODI will play it from just the two stereo speakers.

KODI does not create faked Surround Speaker Fill. Sounds like your other media play is trying to do on the fly conversion to 5.1 which, fairly obviously, is a fake and not what the original show was supposed to sound like.
I've just looked into KODI Settings. (Make sure you have them on Expert level)

Look at SYSTEM and then AUDIO OUTPUT

To fake all 2.0 shows to fill all your six speakers then you need to put a TICK into STEREO UPMIX
thanks BP but does that just not make all sound go through each speker, i will try at home but pretty sure thats what will happen.

thanks
Number of channels - 2.0
Stereo Upmix - selected
Passthrough - selected
Dolby Digital capable receiver - selected
Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding - selected
(2015-09-07, 20:28)jjd-uk Wrote: Number of channels - 2.0
Stereo Upmix - selected
Passthrough - selected

thanks, but i tried that, i get the sound coming out of all speakers but it is not decoded, ie. every sound coming through each speaker, not how normal 5.1/surround should be - speech through centre speaker and music etc. from rear pair...

i appreciate your help though ...
As far as I understand it, if the show is broadcast as 2.0 then KODI will play it back as 2.0. It can't make a 5.1 surround mix from it and separate the voices and music. All it can do is the fake copying of the 2.0 signal to all of the speakers.

Are you playing back true 5.1 sources okay? Are these getting to the speakers as true 5.1 surround?
(2015-09-07, 21:59)Barnsta Wrote:
Stereo Upmix - selected
Passthrough - selected

thanks, but i tried that, i get the sound coming out of all speakers but it is not decoded, ie. every sound coming through each speaker, not how normal 5.1/surround should be - speech through centre speaker and music etc. from rear pair...

What you want then is Dolby Pro-logic II see http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/...ic-ii.html

This should be a sound mode available on your AVR when fed stereo by Kodi.
(2015-09-14, 13:22)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2015-09-07, 21:59)Barnsta Wrote:
Stereo Upmix - selected
Passthrough - selected

What you want then is Dolby Pro-logic II see http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/...ic-ii.html

This should be a sound mode available on your AVR when fed stereo by Kodi.
This is how my Onkyo Amp does it. If I want fake 5.1 surround then the Amp does it. Taking a 2.0 stereo signal and pushing higher music frequencies out to the wider speakers keeping most of the talking frequencies in the centre speaker. My amp will do this the same to either a normal TV signal coming from broadcast TV or to the signal passed from KODI to the amp.

The point of KODI here is to pass a pure unmodified feed to the Amp as the Amp is the better audio processor. Ideally we want to see the DTS audio signal from the film pass totally untouched to the amp for playback. Or a totally untouched stereo 2.0 signal pass to the amp untouched.

All those audio options are about telling KODI how good your amp is.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System#Audio_output

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Surround Sound0