GTX 960 vs. GTX 950: Any real benefits with Kodi?
Nvidia GTX 960 seems overkill and too pricy for HTPC use but does it offer any benefits over the recently released GTX 950?

I'm thinking of upgrading my Intel HD 3500 graphics and switch to using MPC-HC/MadVR with Kodi. My CPU is a modest G2020 Ivy Bridge Pentium but I guess it would do with a decent GPU.

I'm also wondering whether Kaby Lake with hardware HEVC acceleration would be for waiting for, but I guess not, because the current Intel HD 530 graphics doesn't seem to be powerful enough (?).
According to this comparison GPUBoss is not aware of any important advantages of the 950M vs the 960M. Basically overkill for a Kodi specific gfx card.

In the future 4K and HDMI 2 along with 3D capabilities and new media will cause most of us to dump what we have for new hardware, but this should be sufficient for the foreseeable future. If you want skilled and experience in your hardware solutions, post in the hardware section.
(2015-09-05, 17:23)Uoppi Wrote: Nvidia GTX 960 seems overkill and too pricy for HTPC use but does it offer any benefits over the recently released GTX 950?

I'm thinking of upgrading my Intel HD 3500 graphics and switch to using MPC-HC/MadVR with Kodi. My CPU is a modest G2020 Ivy Bridge Pentium but I guess it would do with a decent GPU.

I'm also wondering whether Kaby Lake with hardware HEVC acceleration would be for waiting for, but I guess not, because the current Intel HD 530 graphics doesn't seem to be powerful enough (?).

I'd go with Kodi DSPlayer over MPC. The 960 is known to be an average card with madVR...but just average.
(2015-09-06, 07:12)Warner306 Wrote: I'd go with Kodi DSPlayer over MPC. The 960 is known to be an average card with madVR...but just average.

I'd basically like to know whether the lower number of Cuda cores on the GTX 950 matters much with MadVR on "above average" settings (I don't necessarily need NNEDI3 etc.). As I far as I understand, shaders are "the thing" for MadVR processing. Anyway, I'd rather pick the GTX 950 for its lower price and TDP (though I could grab the MSI GTX 960 at almost the same price as the GTX 950).

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the Kodi DSPlayer. MPC-HC seems fine but the UI may be a bit too spartan for my tastes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GTX 960 vs. GTX 950: Any real benefits with Kodi?0