• 3(current)
Kodi on the new AppleTV4
Where do you see his fork? He's already got a fully working version available via GitHub?
(2015-11-02, 12:42)Memphiz Wrote: The fact that MrMC is a fork of Kodi i would say he has a working ATV4 port up and running.

And Memphiz wins the prize as usual Smile Source code will follow once we enter the App Store.

Are you going to post the GitHub link in this thread?
(2015-11-02, 17:13)MrMC Wrote:
(2015-11-02, 12:42)Memphiz Wrote: The fact that MrMC is a fork of Kodi i would say he has a working ATV4 port up and running.

And Memphiz wins the prize as usual Smile Source code will follow once we enter the App Store.

This is very exciting news! Nice work MrMC! This may be a stupid question, but are you saying that you are submitting Kodi to the official Apple TV App Store? Do you anticipate Apple approving Kodi for the tvOS App Store despite not approving for the iOS App Store?

I was under the assumption that it would not be approved, and therefore users would need to compile the application in Xcode from the github repository.
MrMc is not Kodi - it has Python addons Stripped off for example and other stuff which makes it Apple AppStore compliant...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
MrMC is a fork/rebrand/refactor of Kodi. All offending sins have been purged from the codebase. So some features of Kodi might not be present. This lets us get into the App Store, not only for TVOS but iOS and OSX as well. Our timeline is a few weeks, basics are up and stable. Just some minor issues to resolve.

Kodi itself would never get approved. Not for TVOS nor iOS or OSX. Too many sins. So even when Kodi gets ported to TVOS, the only ways to get on the physical device are;

a) self compile, install via xcode
b) ipa resign/repack install via xcode
c) ipwnstore or similar.

Eventually, you will be able to run Kodi on the new AppleTV. But the port is not trivial and MrMC fork has a month head start and I'm an expert at porting the code base (did the original ATV1, ATV2, iOS, and Android ports) and dealing with issues. Others known me as 'davilla'.

As soon as we enter the App Store, then all our private work becomes public and Kodi devs can start cherry-picking. Or they can start on their own version now, their choice.

We don't see Kodi as competition to MrMC fork. We are aiming at the 80 percent users that just want to play their local content without having to do flips and tricks to get there. Kodi can have the other 20 percent geeks and tweakers Smile
(2015-11-02, 17:36)Memphiz Wrote: MrMc is not Kodi - it has Python addons Stripped off for example and other stuff which makes it Apple AppStore compliant...

Memphiz is correct, python has been stripped. Major no-no for App Store. Unfortunately the existing Kodi python/addons structure has become a haven for pirates and parasites looking to make quick profits with little effort so I am glad to see it get nuked. There is a plan for a replacement addons concept that is acceptable in the App Store. While this will not make the first release, it is defiantly on the list to complete. It will knock your socks off and result in many utterances of OMFG and that's all I will say for now.
(2015-11-02, 19:22)MrMC Wrote:
(2015-11-02, 17:36)Memphiz Wrote: MrMc is not Kodi - it has Python addons Stripped off for example and other stuff which makes it Apple AppStore compliant...

Memphiz is correct, python has been stripped. Major no-no for App Store. Unfortunately the existing Kodi python/addons structure has become a haven for pirates and parasites looking to make quick profits with little effort so I am glad to see it get nuked. There is a plan for a replacement addons concept that is acceptable in the App Store. While this will not make the first release, it is defiantly on the list to complete. It will knock your socks off and result in many utterances of OMFG and that's all I will say for now.

Just wondering, did you take out more ? What about the ffmpeg libraries ? Did you switch to the "native" tvOS/iOS codecs for x264, MPEG4 etc ? Did we loose Dolby and DTS audio ? AFAIK, VLC did the same, it's basically a VLC "shell" with extra container support (e.g. MKV) using native OS codecs.
HTPC: MS-Tech MC-1200 | Asus F2A85-M | AMD A10-6700 | OCZ Agility3 120GB | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3| LiteOn iHOS104 BDR | Win10 x64 | Kodi 15.2
Home AV: Philips 42PFL5038 | Sony BDPS6500 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | Sony PS4 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Sonos audio | Apple TV Gen 4 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | 5.1 speakers (TMA, Klipsch)
ffmpeg is there, of course. Nothing wrong with using ffmpeg in the App Store. Dolby is native on TVOS, no problem there. DTS passthrough is present, native DTS waits license approval and if those clowns keep stalling, I'll do something that bypasses them entirely.

MrMC is nothing at all like VLC. Both can play various video/audio content but that the only thing 'similar'.
Photo 
Hey Davilla / MrMC - glad your still here - I was just thinking last night the Dev with the cool cat avatar could make this happen - cheers!
hehe, my new nic reflects my manic state.
It seems the ATV4 doesn't support 1080p24, does MrMC have the same limitation?
This is really cool. I was just lamenting that Plex announced their port and that there would likely not be an easy port of Kodi.

I wonder what the plans are for keeping current with the state of Kodi development, moving forward? I imagine that wholesale changes like dumping Python means that there was a fair amount of divergence.
(2015-11-03, 02:28)cbmuir Wrote: This is really cool. I was just lamenting that Plex announced their port and that there would likely not be an easy port of Kodi.

I wonder what the plans are for keeping current with the state of Kodi development, moving forward? I imagine that wholesale changes like dumping Python means that there was a fair amount of divergence.

Plex devs are just posers Smile

MrMC will retain database compatibility with kodi. So users can pick and choose what they want, Kodi or MrMC or both. I expect a fair amount of interchange between the two codebases.

Divergence is good, there is a lot of cruft in the current Kodi code base that just has to go in order to move forward into the future.
(2015-11-03, 01:42)Uukrul Wrote: It seems the ATV4 doesn't support 1080p24, does MrMC have the same limitation?

Less than 1 percent of Kodi users care about the perfection of 1080p24. Frames look pretty smooth to me and that's good enough for now. If/when the ATV4 supports 1080p24, then support will be re-addressed. If you require 1080p24 output, then the ATV4 is not for you. MrMC for OSX can support 1080p24, so get a MacMini if you desire 1080p24.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on the new AppleTV45