Looking for SPDIF output hardware
I'm looking at two SPDIF options for Pi2 using Openelec 5.9.5.

Turtle Beach Micro II
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detai...icro-ii/31

Vs

Hifiberry DIGI+
https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/

Which is better ?
The Hifiberry has drivers for all Pi distributions including OpenELEC. No idea what Linux support there is for the Turtle Beach. Go with the Hifiberry.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
The Turtle Beach is a USB sound card and AIUI USB audio output requires more CPU and may only work in one of the two player-types (OMX Player and MMAL Player) in the Pi.

The HifiBerry uses the internal I2S audio paths (i.e. the audio generated for the HDMI output is also fed to the HifiBerry digital output), so should be compatible with both players as it isn't installed as a second device per se?

I may have got the wrong end of the stick - but ISTR that I2S was a better solution than USB on the Pi / Pi 2 in Kodi. (For other audio-only solutions like Volumio there are fewer issues with USB)

***EDIT - I was wrong. OMXPlayer only works with HDMI and Analogue outputs built in to Pi - so to get Toslink/Coax from these you'll need to use an off-board audio extractor. For MMAL Player you are better off with I2S-type devices, but USB will also work. OMXPlayer is still able to play some content that MMAL Player struggles with - particularly when it comes to Live and Recorded TV - so this may be an issue for you ***
omxplayer only supports the built in outputs (analogue and hdmi).
You'll need dvdplayer for any USB or I2S adapter.
The I2S adapters like the hifiberry are preferred as the I2S drivers use DMA and have low cpu overhead.

Many USB adapters work fine, but some suffer from dropouts, so I'd only choose a USB adapter if someone has reported it as running well.
(2015-09-13, 11:50)popcornmix Wrote: omxplayer only supports the built in outputs (analogue and hdmi).
You'll need dvdplayer for any USB or I2S adapter.
The I2S adapters like the hifiberry are preferred as the I2S drivers use DMA and have low cpu overhead.

Many USB adapters work fine, but some suffer from dropouts, so I'd only choose a USB adapter if someone has reported it as running well.

Thanks for the correction.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for SPDIF output hardware0