Kodi on Chromecast
Is there project on the way to get kodi on chromecast?

I would like to invest my time in contributing to this community.

I have lots of programming experience but have never worked on Kodi and/or XMBC before.

If the work is underway then I would like to join the team.

If its not underway then I am interested in creating a new project and work on it if someone is able to provide startup guidance like:

1) Architecture
a) Should we have Kodi on Chromecast
b) Should we run from laptop or other device to project it
2) Code
a) if we go for #1a then how do we get the code into Chromdecast (if anyone has tried it out)
b) Documentation on code compilation for Kodi - anyone done it for chromebook.
3) Most important thing: Code management practices and documentation.

Thanks,

Sandip Ghayal

Let me know if you are ok with this?
to my knowledge none of the current devs in team are working on Chromeast support, so you're welcome to give it a try.

To me it doesn't make much sense to run Kodi on the Chromecast stick, nor do I think that would be possible. Much more sense would be to get streaming and/or mirroring working. Another welcome addition would be to make Kodi itself a Chromecast/Miracast receiver.

As for guidence - I'd start by reading our Development (wiki) section in the wiki and go from there. Feel free to ask any upcoming questions here on the forum or on IRC (freenode, #kodi, #kodi-linux).
Thanks very much for your help.

Let me start with this.

I have ordered my development chromecast stick. Should be with me by end of this week.

Cheers,
Good luck with it, Sandip. Please update us with how it's going.
Kodi can not run on Chromecast so this solution does not make sense Smile

Chromecast as a chromecast / miracast receiver should not be really hard to implement as the API is pretty standard and there's most bases in Kodi like zeroconf and webserver.

Streaming to Chromecast would mostly needs first the transcoding GSOC to be merged as the device is limited in supported codecs.

Starting with the receiver to fully understand how it works then switching to streaming when GSOC is merged sounds like a good plan Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Chromecast0