• 51(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
Is it so? It's different than Minix, then. There is a full refresh rate switch, there...
Sorry for the confusion.
They must have coded something just for themselves, the framerate automation as comes from Amlogic (and is like is in OE for Amlogic S8 devices where if you don't enable Kodi refresh rate you don't get the smooth playback) is a patch to amports and amhdmitx drivers for setting the correct timing according to the resolution in use (and I also think that it reads some file information from amports, but I'm not a kernel dev and don't understand much of what goes on there).

Another way that could make it work (without echoing 1080p23hz) would be switching resolution (1080p24hz is good in this case) before playing the video, like using the fps metadata value from the file when available. In this case the framerate automation would automatically pick 1080p23hz by itself when doing its internal routines.
The problem occurs when you start playing with a different resolution (because framerate automation already starts doing some stuff) and then you change it. That leads to having to include also this patch from codesnake, by switching resolution before that patch would not be needed but I don't think it's possible to do it currently.
(2015-12-19, 12:21)ChristianTroy Wrote: Got it, so we are stuck, I can't think of any other way, unless someone that has other S812 devices can try the modified apk and see if it works there or if it's harmless. I have any other device to try

I tried the modified Kodi apk with "another S812 device" (KitKat 4.4.2, btw) and it seems to work: I used some test files (1920x1080) and a couple of "problematic" 1920x720 movies: no skips, no drops, no problem...

With the unmodified Kodi 15.2 from the store I got a lot of skipped frames, and this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229310 didn't solve the problem. Your version did.

So, I don't know if it's good news for you guys, but for me it is! Big Grin
(2015-12-20, 12:04)ChristianTroy Wrote: Another way that could make it work (without echoing 1080p23hz) would be switching resolution (1080p24hz is good in this case) before playing the video, like using the fps metadata value from the file when available. In this case the framerate automation would automatically pick 1080p23hz by itself when doing its internal routines.
This is how the system level self-adaption works on the Minix. It is using FFmpeg to parse the fps of the video and then switches the refresh rate. On the S8xx, it only switches refresh rate. On the U1, I think it also switches resolution. I haven't verified this. It cannot switch the refresh rate of the display between 59.940 & 60.000 or 23.976 & 24.000. It works fine for everything else.
@Illumin
thanks for testing, that is very good to know

@wesk05
thanks for making things clear, but does this happen with their "edition" of Kodi? Or is it something system wide?
(2015-12-21, 08:06)ChristianTroy Wrote: @wesk05
thanks for making things clear, but does this happen with their "edition" of Kodi? Or is it something system wide?
It is system wide. It works only for streams that FFmpeg has access to. It doesn't work on DRM protected streams (HBO, Netflix etc.). On the new U1, there are actually two frame rate automation settings: one for 2:3 pulldown output @60Hz and another for refresh rate matching.
Thanks, so I think it should be an amplayer patched that before starting playback does that stuff (if it was a framework modification where there are Amlogic patches to add regular Android MediaPlayer support it would not work with Kodi that uses directly libamplayer)

Edit: I still think that the best solution would be a daemon that parses /sys/class/video/frame_rate but it reports "floating" values, 59.94 would be undetectable (and also sometimes reports erroneous values, like when watching TV and changing channels, it needs some time to assest and it's slow, the change would happen like with 2/3 seconds delay to wait it to settle)
I'll try to find something more-or-less generic as well...
Well, I've this box i buy because i was happy with my play and Wetek support and globally seems much better than minix U1, only bad is that they can do wireless antenna, but ok they want to keep is stylish.

Question is little off-topic but... is no way to record contents from NBA live pass and NFL direct at box without using this HDMI recorders used for gaming?
Today have received the Minix Neo U1 and it´s WAY BETTER that Core. Sorry to say this but I have the two and have done a lot of test over them.

I´m not have any problem with playing 23.976fps, almost all H265 4K files that I have play nicely and a boost 170mb/sec Wifi 5Ghz that allow to play anything that I have in my computer like a flash.

The minix thave better construction, the feelings are better, the memory is more fast, and is more responsive. So I switch to the Minix, sorry Christian and Wrstaxy. I have waited a lot of months to buy the Core and their initial problems force me to buy the Minix, and wow...is other world.
Actpower i was thinking same but wetek guys fixed all issues instantly and for me decision to buy core was my positive experience with Play, and fact that there is openelec as well for core. I read also some comments from experienced users at this forum thst Kodi GUI for now is up to 1080p and Kodi even for now cant play 4k 60fps so decision was clear especially as Core do netflix in hd and many apps that require drm

Also somebody mentioned that 905 cant even give 4k 60fps at his output but anyway i dont need it as there is no too much content available.
Just to stop a possible war here (minix vs wetek) both have weak points and contributing more to KODI upstream might be beneficial for both because they have a lot in common.

Other than that.. respect to wetek for going the DRM route to satisfy Netflix lovers (might be also a good choice for upcoming streaming apps)
@actpower, I'm expecting a Minix U1 for review, but when you say it's "WAY BETTER" than WeTek Core, I find that a little hard to chew on. 23.976 works great on Core w/their latest Kodi APK, and Core can handle 137Mbps perfectly (more than adequate for any 4K, even upcoming 4K Blu-rays). I need to test past 137Mbps, but it even almost handled 255Mbps (I didn't have clips in between handy).

Why is Minix U1 better? Does it do MVC 3D? HD audio?

Only edge I can think of for Minix U1 is 4K@60 vs. 30fps for Core.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
@actpower reported the 23.976fps sync issue on the 16th of December.

2 days later on 18th December the WeTek developer Christian Troy had already fixed this and I posted up the required link.
Really what more could a company do to provide speedy resolution to a problem.

I guess some people are just very impatient.

I will say one thing and that is if you are relying on WiFi and the signal strength in your house is not the best, ANY device with an external 5Ghz WiFi antenna is better in that situation than using an internal antenna.
People need to be aware of their exact networking needs before purchase.

After speaking with codesnake he pointed me to this patch from him and it looks like it really does the trick, in kmsg I can see it picking 1080p23hz with the "stock" Kodi apk.
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4