Poll: User ratings system
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0 to 5 Rating System
37.50%
0 to 10 Rating System
56.25%
0 to 100 Rating System
0%
Something else (please comment)
6.25%
Total
16 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

User ratings
There has been some discussion of user ratings on Github, as the feature is being worked on.

We currently have ratings for music which are 5 stars, and a developer is working on video ratings which are potentially 10 stars.

It has been commented on that we should standardize these ratings.

So what's best? 5 stars, 10 stars? something else?
Some metadata sites that allow ratings

www.imdb.com - 10 star system
www.themoviedb.org - 10 star system
https://trakt.tv/ - 10 star system
www.allmusic.com - 5 star system
www.theaudiodb.com - 5 star system
www.thetvdb.com - 10 star system
www.metacritic.com - 0 to 100 system
http://thegamesdb.net - 10 star (but 5 in GUI with half stars)
www.igdb.com - 0 to 100 system
French allociné is 5 star with half stars.

IMO all depends on if you support half values or not.

If you allows half (or any decimal) 5 stars is more than enough to be displayed as stars.

If not then a rating over 10 allows more control and precision. But IMO displaying 10 stars is too much so maybe the notion of stars and not pure rating value is cheating on the decision / feedback.
(2015-09-16, 11:24)zag Wrote: Some metadata sites that allow ratings

www.imdb.com - 10 star system
www.themoviedb.org - 10 star system
https://trakt.tv/ - 10 star system
www.allmusic.com - 5 star system
www.theaudiodb.com - 5 star system
www.thetvdb.com - 10 star system
www.metacritic.com - 0 to 100 system
http://thegamesdb.net - 10 star (but 5 in GUI with half stars)
www.igdb.com - 0 to 100 system

www.themoviedb.org has a 20 star system as they allow half stars in their 10 star system...
the poll is wrong imo as i already suspected but hold back of saying.

The question should not be 5 / 10 star.
It should be:
store as 0 to 5 or 0 to 10. The rest is pure visual if you want to use half stars. or just round it up and only use full stars
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yep ok fixed poll as suggested.

Indeed, thegamesdb online actually rates things out of 10, but displays it as a half star. That could be the nice comprimise.

My worry was showing 10 stars in the GUI was going to be difficult.
Shouldn't we just store 0-100 in the DB and let the skinner decide?

EDIT: Or actually show the score which is scraped, so if it is using the same scoring mechanic as the site. But probably in addition to the "standardized" way with a logo or some such
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I already posted this on GitHub but for the benefit of others, heres a video showing how nice and easy it is to rate music currently with the right skin work.

Hopefully whatever system is moved to will allow this kind of speed or rating.
Since a little related to your video : is there a way to trigger a refresh of the currently playing item skin when updating a rating ?

In Yatse I set now playing song ratings via normal AudioLibrary.SetSongDetails but Kodi does not reflect the change ?

And I've just seen that arrows up / down no more change now playing song ratings ?
Quote:Indeed, thegamesdb online actually rates things out of 10, but displays it as a half star. That could be the nice comprimise.

I think AllMusic is now also a 0 - 10 system by using 1/2 marks.
(2015-09-16, 14:22)topfs2 Wrote: Shouldn't we just store 0-100 in the DB and let the skinner decide?

EDIT: Or actually show the score which is scraped, so if it is using the same scoring mechanic as the site. But probably in addition to the "standardized" way with a logo or some such

Sounds a bit like your talking about ratings - this topic is about userratings or how good/bad an user feels an item is.
(2015-09-16, 23:32)Razze Wrote:
(2015-09-16, 14:22)topfs2 Wrote: Shouldn't we just store 0-100 in the DB and let the skinner decide?

Sounds a bit like your talking about ratings - this topic is about userratings or how good/bad an user feels an item is.

Aha, yeah I thought the discussion was about displaying scraped ratings Smile If its internal rating, which may or may not be submitted back then yeah having the same cross all contents seems like the good choice indeed.

On that note I'll suggest this, and bear with me as it needs some explaining Smile

We store 0-10, or rather 5 star with half stars support. However, in GUI pressing left and right only brings up whole stars, so that its easy to rate. But we allow for half stars by making it valid in the db. So a Webbrowser or such could score as half stars. And possibly in Kodi gui we could try something like right brings one star up but left takes away half a star. So if you want to rate 3.5 you do right, right, right, right, left.

Basically I think it sounds bad to limit the db by not allowing ten stars, but from a UI or UX standpoint I doubt anyone wants to rate anything other than 0-5 via a remote.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
^^ Good idea
I'm not sure why we're even having this talk.

(2015-09-17, 13:34)topfs2 Wrote:
(2015-09-16, 23:32)Razze Wrote:

Aha, yeah I thought the discussion was about displaying scraped ratings Smile If its internal rating, which may or may not be submitted back then yeah having the same cross all contents seems like the good choice indeed.

On that note I'll suggest this, and bear with me as it needs some explaining Smile

We store 0-10, or rather 5 star with half stars support. However, in GUI pressing left and right only brings up whole stars, so that its easy to rate. But we allow for half stars by making it valid in the db. So a Webbrowser or such could score as half stars. And possibly in Kodi gui we could try something like right brings one star up but left takes away half a star. So if you want to rate 3.5 you do right, right, right, right, left.

Basically I think it sounds bad to limit the db by not allowing ten stars, but from a UI or UX standpoint I doubt anyone wants to rate anything other than 0-5 via a remote.

We already do it like you described, minus the frontend integration.

Scraper accepts a rounded value between 0 and 10 I think. Or you provide a max and a value and we will figure out what this would be in a to 10 scale.
Kodi will then offer the skin a value for user rating - not set or 1-10. If the skin decides to display user ratings as fire breathing dragons fighting mighty wizzards, is totally out of our hands.
The skin can then call rating up or down to increase/decrease it. Or if the skin wants to use the to 10 rating, they can show a button which will open a dialogselect which all of the 11 selectable values.

I already rate each item I watch on a scale from 1-10, via a remote. Can't say I'm bothered by it, but that one starts of with the value in the middle preselected.
I certainly noticed with the Trakt add-on after a movie that I am too lazy to rate anything and just click the default because of the large number of remote clicks it takes to move up or down.

Maybe I'm just lazy though haha Wink

I know the default used to be higher and it was a bit easier to rate things Ninja! But I guess it also effected the results.

EDIT: The reason I brought this up, is that music is currently very nice to rate and fast, and I thought it might be worse if we moved to a 0-10 system. Also displaying stars currently on album tracks there is only enough room for 5 stars in the list views. Just thought it was worth discussing.

Example

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
User ratings0