Poll: User ratings system
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0 to 5 Rating System
37.50%
0 to 10 Rating System
56.25%
0 to 100 Rating System
0%
Something else (please comment)
6.25%
Total
16 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

User ratings
(2015-09-16, 11:24)zag Wrote: http://thegamesdb.net - 10 star (but 5 in GUI with half stars)
For a media center/player GUI I prefer to see only 5 stars, so I think half stars works well to effectivly show a 0 to 10 ratings system, or a 0 to 100 ratings system.

In numbers I prefer 0 to 100 ratings system but shown as a 0 -10 with single decimal scale, such as IMDb does: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110912/
(2015-09-17, 16:15)zag Wrote: I certainly noticed with the Trakt add-on after a movie that I am too lazy to rate anything and just click the default because of the large number of remote clicks it takes to move up or down.

Maybe I'm just lazy though haha Wink

I know the default used to be higher and it was a bit easier to rate things Ninja! But I guess it also effected the results.

EDIT: The reason I brought this up, is that music is currently very nice to rate and fast, and I thought it might be worse if we moved to a 0-10 system. Also displaying stars currently on album tracks there is only enough room for 5 stars in the list views. Just thought it was worth discussing.

Example

Well if your skinner decides on 5 stars, it wouldn't probably hurt you to see them cut into half stars.
If he can manage 10, why not. If he wants to show a number, also fine by me.
Not sure about the manual setting thing. I probably end up doing this via yatse/kore, which will be the fastest way or not touch it at all, as they will get scraped automatally from your trakt profile.
The same would be working for music, if you can find a site to host your ratings.
Great sounds like we have a good compromise.

I guess as long as the Skinner has control, its not really an issue.
(2015-09-17, 13:34)topfs2 Wrote: We store 0-10, or rather 5 star with half stars support. However, in GUI pressing left and right only brings up whole stars, so that its easy to rate. But we allow for half stars by making it valid in the db. So a Webbrowser or such could score as half stars. And possibly in Kodi gui we could try something like right brings one star up but left takes away half a star. So if you want to rate 3.5 you do right, right, right, right, left.

Sorry to be a pain but I think this needs a bit of clarifying for imports. I think a lot of people use other programs, such as mediaelch and mediamonkey, to rate albums and many others to rate tracks. These are scanned into Kodi via nfo's created in the album folder on initial set up or even later. If you rate something as 3.5 in one of those programs it will be imported to the musicdb as 4 (I believe). Therefore if I understand what you're saying correctly you would have to double any import value, i.e. make a 3.5 rating a 7 before import to Kodi's database to work on a 1/2 star based rating system. I think this is why 1/2 stars have never really taken off, most people assume it's a 5 point, whole number, system because 1/2 marks don't work in the db.
(2015-09-17, 19:58)WelshPaul Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 13:34)topfs2 Wrote: We store 0-10, or rather 5 star with half stars support. However, in GUI pressing left and right only brings up whole stars, so that its easy to rate. But we allow for half stars by making it valid in the db. So a Webbrowser or such could score as half stars. And possibly in Kodi gui we could try something like right brings one star up but left takes away half a star. So if you want to rate 3.5 you do right, right, right, right, left.

Sorry to be a pain but I think this needs a bit of clarifying for imports. I think a lot of people use other programs, such as mediaelch and mediamonkey, to rate albums and many others to rate tracks. These are scanned into Kodi via nfo's created in the album folder on initial set up or even later. If you rate something as 3.5 in one of those programs it will be imported to the musicdb as 4 (I believe). Therefore if I understand what you're saying correctly you would have to double any import value, i.e. make a 3.5 rating a 7 before import to Kodi's database to work on a 1/2 star based rating system. I think this is why 1/2 stars have never really taken off, most people assume it's a 5 point, whole number, system because 1/2 marks don't work in the db.

We're not talking about ratings.

We are talking about user ratings, the db wasn't even capable of storing these some weeks ago.
Quote:We are talking about user ratings

That is what I'm talking about. Never mind I'll go back to the ignored feature request group.
Same as the music db, video db will support handing it the user rating and optional a max rating.
So if you hand it a 3 and say max is 5 it will save a 6 to the database.
But that's the point I was trying to make. I am talking about the music db (as the op was about gaining consistency). I've never heard of an optional max rating setting in the music db, but my point is how do you hand it 3.5 when the db only accepts whole numbers. Are all user ratings to be even numbers? I cannot see people pressing right right right left through their 1000's of albums (or movies) when they already have them rated for other purposes (Amazon, AllMusic, etc). They will look for a way to import, and I'm not sure how that will work given the outlined (and apparently current) db structure - that's all I'm getting at..
BTW - I probably haven't heard of the optional max rating because I'm not a dev or skilled skinner. I appreciate this is a dev's discussion, I just want to inform how noddy users actually approach the thing, and as we've been asking for 1/2 star ratings without reply in the feature requests since 2008 the thread title piqued my interest.
(2015-09-17, 23:59)WelshPaul Wrote: But that's the point I was trying to make. I am talking about the music db (as the op was about gaining consistency). I've never heard of an optional max rating setting in the music db, but my point is how do you hand it 3.5 when the db only accepts whole numbers. Are all user ratings to be even numbers? I cannot see people pressing right right right left through their 1000's of albums (or movies) when they already have them rated for other purposes (Amazon, AllMusic, etc). They will look for a way to import, and I'm not sure how that will work given the outlined (and apparently current) db structure - that's all I'm getting at..
BTW - I probably haven't heard of the optional max rating because I'm not a dev or skilled skinner. I appreciate this is a dev's discussion, I just want to inform how noddy users actually approach the thing, and as we've been asking for 1/2 star ratings without reply in the feature requests since 2008 the thread title piqued my interest.

Good catch and question.
This is how it is for videos in the nightlys now. Calls via json-rpc will need to be rounded to the next value same goes for nfo infos.
Do we also need a value (and a means of display) for unrated? Does "0" mean I really, really hate it, or is "0" meant to mean I have not assessed it and "1" is the lowest score?
from what i recall 0 is considered "not rated" or "reset my rating". So real rating is 1 to 5 as currently in music (could be wrong though)
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-09-19, 15:07)Martijn Wrote: from what i recall 0 is considered "not rated" or "reset my rating". So real rating is 1 to 5 as currently in music (could be wrong though)

Setting something to zero will null it from the database. So it's resetting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
User ratings0