Upgrading from a 2011 HP Proliant N36L
Hey guys,

So back in 2011 I basically followed this guide
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=104372

Bought the HP Proliant Server with Windows Home Server 2011, stuck a Sapphire Radeon 6450 in it, and then stuck 4x2TB Western Digital Green Drives in as well.

I mainly used it to SABnzbd+ / Sickbeard / Couch Potato / uTorrent. It's still working right now, but lately there's been performance / framerate issues playing certain files, which is making me think of upgrading.

Is the full blown HTPC setup out of vogue these days? Do I buy/build a NAS and then add a small computer thing to actually play the files? Any chance I can salvage the data on these hard drives if i do buy/build a NAS and want to swap the drives into it? Could I just make this thing a NAS and just buy another small box to play the files?

Also an aside I have a spare desktop I build for fun with a Haswell i5 and a GeForce GTX 750Ti that is sitting around not doing much. Any chance I can cannibalize these to help build a NAS/new HTPC?

Thanks
(2015-09-16, 22:32)red grenadine Wrote: Could I just make this thing a NAS and just buy another small box to play the files?
this
(2015-09-17, 02:20)smitopher Wrote:
(2015-09-16, 22:32)red grenadine Wrote: Could I just make this thing a NAS and just buy another small box to play the files?
this

Yep it seems like this is the way to go. Thank you
Yeah for sure NAS it.

My N40L is still doing basically the same duties as yours. I think i will switch out for an N54L soon, ssd OS drive and have the N40 keep doing it's NAS duties.

Love these boxes

Mine N36L currently has 7 drives in, supporting 18Tb with Unraid - I'm perfectly happy with it chugging away as a large NAS (that just happens to run SR/CP/SAB/UT)

There's plenty of life left in that old dog yet...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading from a 2011 HP Proliant N36L0