• 15(current)
Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)
I got one, threw Kodi on it and am happy with it. I don't need the 4K and all the other mumbo jumbo. I am quite happy with it and all it offers.
Is there is a list of audio formats working, and not working, on Kodi w/ FTV2?

I have an FTV1 on my kids TV, which is great because I don't need surround... but for my theater room (110" screen & 7.2 audio) I'm considering using FTV2 if it will do the surround formats I need.

thx!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Thanks to another poster in another thread, I have DTS working now on FireTV (stick). I didn't realize an "advanced" menu had been added that moved the "DTS Capable" option to it (I haven't used Kodi/XBMC since Eden). That got DTS movies working fine, but apparently FireTV has some kind of firmware limitation that won't allow 44.1kHz output, only 48kHz so my 44.1-based DTS Audio CDs play at a higher pitch than they should (not quite Chipmunks, but bad none-the-less). I'm amazed they play at all, really. AppleTV Gen2/3 mangles the DTS code when it resamples. Here, it's intact, but higher pitched. Unless there's a firmware fix in the future, I guess I need to keep a 1st Gen ATV around (or an Airport Express) to play DTS Audio CDs on my surround system.

I wonder if there's a tool that will convert DTS Audio CDs into something like a Dolby Digital video file with track indexes instead or something. That would solve the problem, even if the audio quality might be a bit lower. It could also get rid of the "gap" between tracks problem that all digital players seem to have regardless with DTS Audio CDs. I have Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You Were Here from the Pink Floyd Box sets already in Dolby Digital for this purpose (Roger Waters' Amused To Death as well).

Edit: I've discovered that transcoding to Dolby Digital instead of outputting DTS allows DTS Audio CDs to play at normal pitch on FireTV. It's not a perfect solution (FireTV Stick can only handle "medium" resampling of DTS Audio CDs), but at least makes them playable in surround on FireTV at the proper pitch. The only other down side is having to switch back if you want to output DTS for movies directly.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Decided to finally buy one: $75 Black Friday price - $50 Sling TV 3-month deal = $25 shipped. Not bad at all.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-11-26, 21:36)hdmkv Wrote: Decided to finally buy one: $75 Black Friday price - $50 Sling TV 3-month deal = $25 shipped. Not bad at all.
What is the sling deal?
Here you go: www.amazon.com/slingtvoffer
My HT
(2015-11-27, 00:24)hdmkv Wrote: Here you go: www.amazon.com/slingtvoffer
That link doesn't work. I'll do a Web search. Thx, I did not know it was an Amazon deal
Try this: http://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=13233815011
My HT
24p

I can get the resolution hidden menu on my Firestick same as fire to but there is no 24p option only 50 and 60
Is there different GPU ?

Tnanks
(2015-11-26, 21:31)VonMagnum Wrote: Thanks to another poster in another thread, I have DTS working now on FireTV (stick). I didn't realize an "advanced" menu had been added that moved the "DTS Capable" option to it (I haven't used Kodi/XBMC since Eden). That got DTS movies working fine, but apparently FireTV has some kind of firmware limitation that won't allow 44.1kHz output, only 48kHz so my 44.1-based DTS Audio CDs play at a higher pitch than they should (not quite Chipmunks, but bad none-the-less). I'm amazed they play at all, really. AppleTV Gen2/3 mangles the DTS code when it resamples. Here, it's intact, but higher pitched. Unless there's a firmware fix in the future, I guess I need to keep a 1st Gen ATV around (or an Airport Express) to play DTS Audio CDs on my surround system.

This is my biggest issue with the setup. Love the fact I can have Kodi running alongside the Amazon service.

I have a lot of music in DTS though and Kodi on the Amazon box just will not play it. Every track I have just comes out as static / white noise. I'm sure I've setup all the Expert audio settings as required within Kodi. I don't really understand why it can't handle these files as both Amazon and Netflix play DD / DD+ / DTS / DTS-HD very nicely from their own stores.

I've now had to put my Raspberry Pi 2 back (and take up another precious HDMI slot on the AV receiver!) as OpenElec plays DTS music beautifully.

So close to the "all in one" solution but not quite.

Any ideas?
(2015-12-08, 16:36)samburrows Wrote:
(2015-11-26, 21:31)VonMagnum Wrote: Thanks to another poster in another thread, I have DTS working now on FireTV (stick). I didn't realize an "advanced" menu had been added that moved the "DTS Capable" option to it (I haven't used Kodi/XBMC since Eden). That got DTS movies working fine, but apparently FireTV has some kind of firmware limitation that won't allow 44.1kHz output, only 48kHz so my 44.1-based DTS Audio CDs play at a higher pitch than they should (not quite Chipmunks, but bad none-the-less). I'm amazed they play at all, really. AppleTV Gen2/3 mangles the DTS code when it resamples. Here, it's intact, but higher pitched. Unless there's a firmware fix in the future, I guess I need to keep a 1st Gen ATV around (or an Airport Express) to play DTS Audio CDs on my surround system.

This is my biggest issue with the setup. Love the fact I can have Kodi running alongside the Amazon service.

I have a lot of music in DTS though and Kodi on the Amazon box just will not play it. Every track I have just comes out as static / white noise. I'm sure I've setup all the Expert audio settings as required within Kodi. I don't really understand why it can't handle these files as both Amazon and Netflix play DD / DD+ / DTS / DTS-HD very nicely from their own stores.

I've now had to put my Raspberry Pi 2 back (and take up another precious HDMI slot on the AV receiver!) as OpenElec plays DTS music beautifully.

So close to the "all in one" solution but not quite.

Any ideas?

It won't play DTS Music CDs because they are at 44.1kHz and whatever limitation (whether firmware or Android itself) won't allow FireTV to output ANYTHING but 48kHz (I think ATV Gen2 and Gen3 have the same problem; I'm not sure about the 4th Gen one, but I believe that is an iOS driver limitation as well). Basically, they don't give a flying crap if you can do whatever beyond watching their paid services and I'm sure Amazon to a large extent is the same way. I have seen some Android based devices that CAN do 44.1kHz, but I'm not sure if they have custom modifications or it simply looks at its own built-in DAC and doesn't see 44.1kHz or whatever and so it doesn't enable it. Whatever the reason, if you can't output 44.1kHz, you not only don't have bit-accurate WAV/AIF/CD type playback from dumped CDs, but DTS Music CDs won't play correctly (you typically get noise as the encoded signal is destroyed when resamplled as it needs to be bit-accurate). Here, however, I get pitch-shifted output instead which implies Kodi is simply outputting the DTS WAV files at a 48kHz rate and thus the FireTV leaves it alone but this results in the pitch going up which sounds weird. I find it odd that you are getting noise. If you have your DTS music files in a lossless container (e.g. Apple Lossless and possibly FLAC and the like as well; I'm not sure there as I haven't tried them), Kodi doesn't recognize them as DTS and somehow corrupts them along the way (e.g. my DTS CDs in Apple Lossless output noise and Kodi doesn't recognize them as DTS, but my WAV versions I made for Kodi are recognized and output at 48kHz pitch-shifted as I already mentioned).

The only solutions are to either tell Kodi to re-encode the DTS output to Dolby Digital (go to 'advanced' in Kodi in System Settings and Audio output and tell it to transcode to Dolby Digital and leave DTS capable receiver turned OFF when you want to use it) and this will automatically decode the DTS internally and resample the decoded signal to 48kHz and re-encode into a 48kHz Dolby Digital format that will then play at the correct pitch (but again you need to have DTS WAV files for it to recognize them). You may lose some sound quality in the process since it's decoding, resampling and re-encoding, but it sounded OK here to me. The down side is that to play DTS *as* DTS for movies (that are 48kHz and will output OK), you have to go back to the System Preferences every time you want to play it and change the setting to enable DTS Receiver capability. If there's some script setting or whatever somewhere to tell Kodi to only transcode to Dolby Digital for DTS WAV files, I don't know what it is or how to do it. Obviously, it's better to output as DTS for movies than to transcode to a lower bit-rate Dolby Digital when you don't have to.

You could get around this by permanently converting a copy of the DTS music files to Dolby Digital files that kodi can play (even as music only it will recognize them). You can do this with something like like eac3to (http://www.videohelp.com/software/eac3to ; note this is Windows only) to permanently convert the files to Dolby Digital AC3 or Flac Surround (if your receiver will support that). Or you could convert them yourself to 48kHz DTS successfully if you have a DTS encoder (cheapest legal one is like $250 from DTS I believe and it doesn't do DTS-HD MA; that one costs $1500). There you would decode them with something like eac3to and then resample the wav files to 48kHz and then re-encode them to DTS without suffering a lower bit-rate. For that kind of money, though you might as well just get a Kodi box capable of outputting 44.1kHz correctly and be done with it.

Hopefully, a future firmware update to FireTV will fix the 44.1kHz issue, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Superbly informative and comprehensive post, thank you. Will stick with my dual-box setup for now then!
Hi guys new member just bought a fire tv 4k any idea which kodi build is the best for this box??

I have just tried the beast but every stream i have selected it won't play just jumps back to the menu. It works fine on my Nvidia shield tv box

Any help will be welcome
Isengard and Jarvis both worked fine for me. Just install Firestarter and let it grab Kodi for you.
Should chrisb beast work ok once koi 15.2 is installed ok when i tried i would not stream any movie etc just jumped back to menu
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)1