How to scrape composer/artist/album info for my iTunes lib?
Hi all
Have been using kodi for quite some time for movies and have it working excellently. Recently i tried to import my (largely classical, some modern) music libray that i use on the good ol' ipod. Unfortunately, kodi doesnt recognise my media as well as itunes did (when i imported my cd collection). So now i am left with the file names only, no album art etc etc

Can i just throw my xml file which contains the itunes lib data at kodi? How else can i scrape meta data and album art for my music collection?

Thanks all
(2015-09-17, 07:49)Miguix Wrote: Hi all
Have been using kodi for quite some time for movies and have it working excellently. Recently i tried to import my (largely classical, some modern) music libray that i use on the good ol' ipod. Unfortunately, kodi doesnt recognise my media as well as itunes did (when i imported my cd collection). So now i am left with the file names only, no album art etc etc

Can i just throw my xml file which contains the itunes lib data at kodi? How else can i scrape meta data and album art for my music collection?

Thanks all

You should post in the general Kodi support area. In general, Kodi reads the metadata tags that iTunes writes, but you might need to tweak them. (suggest mp3tag or mediamonkey for this, at least on windows) Once you do that Kodi music scanner should add your music files as songs into the music library (you can use a debug log (wiki) captured while scanning to see if Kodi is ignoring any of your tags).

Once songs are added to the library, if performing artist (Kodi doesn't use composer) or album isn't scraped using the default scrapers, an alternative is to create artist.nfo and album.nfo files if your physical file folder structure supports this (need to have an artist folder and within that album folders containing the actual files). The nfo files contain the data that would be scraped.

scott s.
(2015-09-17, 23:17)scott967 Wrote:

Thanks all

You should post in the general Kodi support area. In general, Kodi reads the metadata tags that iTunes writes, but you might need to tweak them. (suggest mp3tag or mediamonkey for this, at least on windows) Once you do that Kodi music scanner should add your music files as songs into the music library (you can use a debug log (wiki) captured while scanning to see if Kodi is ignoring any of your tags).

Once songs are added to the library, if performing artist (Kodi doesn't use composer) or album isn't scraped using the default scrapers, an alternative is to create artist.nfo and album.nfo files if your physical file folder structure supports this (need to have an artist folder and within that album folders containing the actual files). The nfo files contain the data that would be scraped.

scott s.

Thx - will try sth like that

How can i give my itunes lib file to kodi?

More worrying - are you saying kodi doesnt take composer as meta data? Thats quite disturbimg for classical music. I am primarily interested to have composer (beethoven chopin etc). Whoever plays the piano is second importance.....
If u know wot i mean
(2015-09-17, 23:28)Miguix Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 23:17)scott967 Wrote:

Thanks all

scott s.

Thx - will try sth like that

How can i give my itunes lib file to kodi?

More worrying - are you saying kodi doesnt take composer as meta data? Thats quite disturbimg for classical music. I am primarily interested to have composer (beethoven chopin etc). Whoever plays the piano is second importance.....
If u know wot i mean

There actually somebody working on this, so this might make it into the next major version.
(2015-09-17, 23:28)Miguix Wrote: More worrying - are you saying kodi doesnt take composer as meta data? Thats quite disturbimg for classical music. I am primarily interested to have composer (beethoven chopin etc). Whoever plays the piano is second importance.....
If u know wot i mean

Yes I do know what you mean, and sadly no, the current released version of Kodi does not handle the composer tag, its support for classical music is not as good as it could be. That is something that I am eager to change and currently working on. Great to have some user interest.

The first phase of work has been completed and there is a (windows) build you could test, if you are up to that. It needs real life testing before the dev team will be happy to relase into the next version. Have a look here 2108091 (post). There is much more to do of course.

And if you need it for a different OS, one of the dev team might be able to do a build if we ask. I can give you clearer instructions for use if you are interested in testing, let me know.
(2015-09-20, 09:35)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 23:28)Miguix Wrote: More worrying - are you saying kodi doesnt take composer as meta data? Thats quite disturbimg for classical music. I am primarily interested to have composer (beethoven chopin etc). Whoever plays the piano is second importance.....
If u know wot i mean

Yes I do know what you mean, and sadly no, the current released version of Kodi does not handle the composer tag, its support for classical music is not as good as it could be. That is something that I am eager to change and currently working on. Great to have some user interest.

The first phase of work has been completed and there is a (windows) build you could test, if you are up to that. It needs real life testing before the dev team will be happy to relase into the next version. Have a look here 2108091 (post). There is much more to do of course.

And if you need it for a different OS, one of the dev team might be able to do a build if we ask. I can give you clearer instructions for use if you are interested in testing, let me know.

Hey that sounds great
Will take a look at that thread as well
Where can i download that test version?
see the linked thread
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to scrape composer/artist/album info for my iTunes lib?0