Test Edimax EW-7822UAC and NETGEAR A6200
I've gotten similar results using iperf with an Edimax EW-7811UTC on OpenELEC. What didn't show up using the iperf tests or streaming a downloadable file was that with live streams I would get dropouts and stuttering issues. This was due to the wireless adapter loosing and quickly reestablishing connection with my router. This disconnneting issue has been largely documented with 5GHz on this and other forums when running OpenELEC and OSMC. If you don't mind, could you run some live stream tests using your adapter and the beta version OS? I am curious if there is any change that will fix that issue. I am still running OpenELEC 5.0.8 and because of the disconnects have had to stick with 2.4GHz mode.
(2015-09-21, 17:01)Shazb0t Wrote: I've gotten similar results using iperf with an Edimax EW-7811UTC on OpenELEC. What didn't show up using the iperf tests or streaming a downloadable file was that with live streams I would get dropouts and stuttering issues. This was due to the wireless adapter loosing and quickly reestablishing connection with my router. This disconnneting issue has been largely documented with 5GHz on this and other forums when running OpenELEC and OSMC. If you don't mind, could you run some live stream tests using your adapter and the beta version OS? I am curious if there is any change that will fix that issue. I am still running OpenELEC 5.0.8 and because of the disconnects have had to stick with 2.4GHz mode.
That shouldn't be a problem.
How do you use (or which) live streams with Kodi?
I have Edimax EW-7811UTC too, so I might throw that one into the mix as well.
Digital Clock Screensaver with a lot of options - check it out!
(2015-09-21, 17:23)vdb86 Wrote:
(2015-09-21, 17:01)Shazb0t Wrote: I've gotten similar results using iperf with an Edimax EW-7811UTC on OpenELEC. What didn't show up using the iperf tests or streaming a downloadable file was that with live streams I would get dropouts and stuttering issues. This was due to the wireless adapter loosing and quickly reestablishing connection with my router. This disconnneting issue has been largely documented with 5GHz on this and other forums when running OpenELEC and OSMC. If you don't mind, could you run some live stream tests using your adapter and the beta version OS? I am curious if there is any change that will fix that issue. I am still running OpenELEC 5.0.8 and because of the disconnects have had to stick with 2.4GHz mode.
That shouldn't be a problem.
How do you use (or which) live streams with Kodi?
I have Edimax EW-7811UTC too, so I might throw that one into the mix as well.

The issue was reproducible for me with pretty much every live stream I tried to view. An add on that you could try that I experienced the problem with definitively was ustvnow. You can grab Lunatixz version from the official repository and try the free channels streaming over 5GHz with your Edimax EW-7811UTC. Generally I experienced drop off and shutdown of channels either immediately into the streams or at the most 10 minutes in if that helps with your test methodology. This problem was immediately resolved when switching to 2.4GHz or using another adapter at 2.4GHz. Same for usage with other live streams in my experience, wish I could be more helpful with information but I am a novice when it comes to coding/developing.
(2015-09-21, 17:01)Shazb0t Wrote: The issue was reproducible for me with pretty much every live stream I tried to view. An add on that you could try that I experienced the problem with was definitively ustvnow. You can grab Lunatixz version from the official repository and try the free channels streaming over 5GHz with your Edimax EW-7811UTC. Generally I experienced drop off and shutdown of channels either immediately into the streams or at the most 10 minutes in if that helps with your test methodology. This problem was immediately resolved when switching to 2.4GHz or using another adapter at 2.4GHz. Same for usage with other live streams in my experience, wish I could be more helpful with information but I am a novice when it comes to coding/developing.

That's all the information I needed, I'll try and have all the test results tomorrow.
Ok I have run all the tests!
These are my test conditions/equipment:

I live in an apartment building with most people having 2.4GHz network.
I have my windows 7 laptop connected to the router via gigabit ethernet.
My router is D-link dir-868L.
Both frequencies are enabled (2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Raspberry Pi 2 is 3 feet away (almost a meter) from the router.
My network attached storage is Synology DS 214 Play.
The external hard drive used is Seagate backup plus 1TB formatted to ext4 and it's externally powered.

Playing Interstellar.2014.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-RARBG (42.7GB; Potplayer reports overall bitrate 36.2Mbps) - with no advanced settings!:

Osmc 2015.08-1 with all of the over the air updates:
EW-7811UTC 2.4GHz If you skip ahead frame rate will drop and you will loose sound, have to pause and then everything is ok
EW-7811UTC 5GHz Everything works fine, even with big jumps, continues playback with no problem
EW-7822UAC 2.4GHz Everything works fine, even with big jumps, continues playback with no problem
EW-7822UAC 5GHz Everything works fine, even with big jumps, continues playback with no problem

Openelec 5.95.5
EW-7811UTC 2.4GHz If you skip ahead frame rate will drop and you will loose sound, have to pause and then everything is ok
EW-7811UTC 5GHz Everything works fine, even with big jumps, continues playback with no problem
EW-7822UAC 2.4GHz Everything works fine, even with big jumps, continues playback with no problem
EW-7822UAC 5GHz Everything works fine, even with big jumps, continues playback with no problem

I haven't tested some larger distances (I can't) but wireless speed will drop with larger distance and more obstacles in the way (walls etc), at that point I'm not sure if playing a high bitrate video would be as smooth as it is now.

In regards to live stream tests, I tested both EW-7811UTC and EW-7822UAC adapters with both OSMC and Openelec, with both frequencies, I haven't experienced any stuttering or dropouts, everything worked just fine.
I used TV Ontario for tests, ustvnow requires login information and I didn't want to waste time with that.

Testing usb sockets:
I couldn't reproduce my previous situation which made me think that it made a difference where you plug in some of your usb hardware.
I did my previous tests without shutting down the Raspberry Pi 2, it seems that was the reason for my weird results.
If you shut down your Raspberry Pi 2 everything will work as it should without weird results.
Sorry Popcornmix! Sad

I've found out that there is a difference between using ethernet-wireless and wireless-wireless connection.
if I use ethernet with my laptop and wireless with Raspberry Pi 2 I would get these results:

Openelec
2.4GHz: 7.71MB/s
5GHz: 11.32MB/s

OSMC
2.4GHz: 10.17MB/s
5GHz: 15.6MB/s

First of all this shows that speeds over 10MB/s can be achieved with this wireless adapter and that OSMC at this point has better drivers!

Wireless - wireless transfer:

Openelec:
2.4GHz: 3.3MB/s
5GHz: 5.44MB/s

OSMC:
2.4GHz: 7.02MB/s
5GHz: 7.97MB/s

This definitely proves that OSMC has better wireless drivers, at the same time as far as I can see the router might be slowing things down or there's some additional overhead which I'm not aware off (wireless-wireless overhead?)

One more thing, I tested again the scenario with Openelec and ext4 and NTFS hard drive (same one just different format)
NTFS is faster for wireless transfers (Either ethernet-wireless or wireless-wireless).
But slower for ethernet-ethernet or wireless-ethernet.
I'm not sure why this happens.

Nevertheless I hope that Openelec team will manage to sort the drivers out, and make Openelec ethernet and wireless transfer speeds faster.
that router has 3 streams of N and 3 of AC (six separate antennas, independent 2.5/5ghz I guess)
Odd that you are seeing such a dramatic wireless/wireless loss, you may be able to experiment with iperf to see where the breakdown is.
(2015-09-22, 22:30)vdb86 Wrote: I haven't tested some larger distances (I can't) but wireless speed will drop with larger distance and more obstacles in the way (walls etc), at that point I'm not sure if playing a high bitrate video would be as smooth as it is now.

Thanks - interesting results. It shows that these wireless dongles and the Pi Hardware/drivers can play BluRay video over wifi.
Obviously 3 feet isn't a very useful distance (I'd recommend a cable...)
It would be useful if you could test in the next room for example. Useful to know if it is a little worse or a lot worse.

I think it makes sense that you ~ halve your speed when the data is going through two wireless connections.
For half the time the Pi can't effectively use wifi as the laptop/router is transmitting.
(2015-09-22, 23:48)popcornmix Wrote: I think it makes sense that you ~ halve your speed when the data is going through two wireless connections.
For half the time the Pi can't effectively use wifi as the laptop/router is transmitting.

Not necessarily true with multiple streams. and a single spatial stream provides data rate up to 150 Mbps, and his speeds are WELL below that, well below acceptable on OpenElec really.
(2015-09-22, 23:48)popcornmix Wrote: Thanks - interesting results. It shows that these wireless dongles and the Pi Hardware/drivers can play BluRay video over wifi.
Obviously 3 feet isn't a very useful distance (I'd recommend a cable...)
It would be useful if you could test in the next room for example. Useful to know if it is a little worse or a lot worse.

I think it makes sense that you ~ halve your speed when the data is going through two wireless connections.

I don't have a tv in the other room or a router, so it's kinda complicated to test things out.
I might just test out iperf from the other room, without playing any movies, that should give us a rough estimate of what happens with the speed.

I never thought that using wireless-wireless would halve the speed, especially not with a router like this, but nevertheless, I'm happy with the results, now just to wait and see if Openelec will update their ethernet and wireless drivers to at least match the speed of OSMC.
These are the tests of iperf (all openelec):
3 feet (almost a meter):
2.4GHz 65.6 Mbits/sec
5GHz 124 Mbits/sec

36 feet (11 metres) two brick walls:
2.4GHz 65.2 Mbits/sec
5GHz 117 Mbits/sec

The above results show that Edimax EW-7822UAC could be used for playing BluRay video over wifi.

3 feet (almost a meter)(laptop is 6 feet)(wireless-wireless connection):
2.4GHz 54.6 Mbits/sec
5GHz 50.8 Mbits/sec

These results show that there is some speed decrease with 2.4GHz and more than 50% speed decrease with 5GHz!
The real life transfer test shows that the speed is literally halved, which is not completely consistent with the results above.
This tells me that there is something else in play here, maybe some sort of additional overhead, but I don't know.
(2015-09-23, 11:00)vdb86 Wrote: The above results show that Edimax EW-7822UAC could be used for playing BluRay video over wifi.

Looks promising. I'd have expected more degradation from the increased distance.

Quote:This tells me that there is something else in play here, maybe some sort of additional overhead, but I don't know.

There are two performance numbers used for a network link, bandwidth and latency.
iperf measures bandwidth and ping measures latency.

Wireless tends to have much worse latency than wired.
If a protocol blocks until messages get responses back, then latency can have a big effect on bandwidth achieved as the link is idle waiting for responses.
(2015-09-23, 12:41)popcornmix Wrote: There are two performance numbers used for a network link, bandwidth and latency.
iperf measures bandwidth and ping measures latency.

Wireless tends to have much worse latency than wired.
If a protocol blocks until messages get responses back, then latency can have a big effect on bandwidth achieved as the link is idle waiting for responses.

That sounds pretty logical, I would still expect better speeds, but thank you for your explanation!

Do you by any chance have any clue what Sam did with the drivers?
Like I said both ethernet and wireless are faster with OSMC.
(I secretly hope that the drivers can be even more optimized)

Can you try the latest version of OSMC (2015.09-2), and let me know if this issue still persists?

Sam

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Test Edimax EW-7822UAC and NETGEAR A62000