Warning Kodi does not work on iOS 9 yet!
I did select my iPhone developer profiles in each of the listed areas in Xcode and set the provisioning profile to automatic but kept getting the libsmbclient error which I know has to do with codesigning. Does this mean that by default now in Xcode 7 I can select don't code sign or iOS developer if I don't patch the command file mentioned?
OK forget it for a while - ios9 runtime is a bitch ... kodi simply doesn't work on it for now. Don't waste your time ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
It does seem to run fine on iOS 8.4.x devices without having to change anything new and you just need to select the code signing profiles. I did find it kept failing on iOS 9 devices. So it doesn't seem like it is coming from Xcode 7 but instead is coming from the device if its on iOS 9. I don't understand what part of the command file needs to be changed if I'm selecting my iPhone Developer code signing profiles.
Or apple killed off dylibs from being loaded in iOS 9 even when linked. I have a iPadMini4 waiting at home, will poke a little into this later.
Hope this gets sorted as really want to use kodi on ios9 was going update iPad too but I won't now till this is sorted
It doesn't seem like this was actually tested on a device or through Xcode prior to release or else these issues would've been identified already. I've offered and I'll offer again to be an alpha/beta/production tester if there's ever a need.
this is the reason why it doesn't work on ios9 - https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/7524

no testing in the world would have revealed that. Thats jailbreaker knowledge at its best. This might be a show stopper for kodi (if we need to target ios 8 as minimum supported version just to be able to run on ios9 we we will loose support for all devices which are running ios5,6,7)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This sounds like it's the needs of the many that will outweigh the few since there are fewer and fewer devices out there that stopped at iOS 7 and more and more devices that can support iOS 8+. The decision for me seems simple and I'm hoping it's the same one the Kodi development community will share. Will you be updating the readme files for now to indicate that iOS 9 is not supported?
(2015-09-19, 13:35)belltechdave Wrote: This sounds like it's the needs of the many that will outweigh the few since there are fewer and fewer devices out there that stopped at iOS 7 and more and more devices that can support iOS 8+. The decision for me seems simple and I'm hoping it's the same one the Kodi development community will share. Will you be updating the readme files for now to indicate that iOS 9 is not supported?

Breaking working hard / software is nothing kodi does normally ... users need to understand that it's Apple that is breaking all devices. I even think they check howto break the free implementations as they want to be the one and only doing Airplay. I am totally against supporting IOS8+ as this would make _us_ break Airplay for all the others that cannot upgrade.

The IOS9 people should complain to apple instead.

This is my private opinion.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I both agree and disagree with Fritsch's statement.
I agree Kodi didn't cause anything to break
I disagree that Apple intentionally looks for ways to break things and is attempting to close off support for certain features on iOS
I disagree with the choice to not support iOS 8+ just to protect those that can't update to iOS 8+ because of the limitations of the device they own
The unfortunate choice of stopping support for older software/hardware is inevitable. Why resist it. There was a choice at some point for the Kodi development team to stop support on everything below iOS 5.1 and it seems like that choice has once again been brought forward.
Oh come on now Smile, Apple has changed Mach-O bundle formats before in the past to expand them. Old farts like me remember the 10.3 to 10.4 jump. This is not nothing new. The game is, how clever you can be to bypass this issue.

Also since you are not supposed to be even using dylibs under iOS, I see nothing wrong here, if you want to run under iOS 9, target iOS 8+.

iOS 9 is also special in that the only devices that support it are arm64 based. This is Apple's way of saying, hey devs, if you only want to build arm64 apps, target iOS9+.

As for AirPlay, All Apple devices support it MUCH better than we can ever do, so why even enter that battle. Just disable it for darwin builds and be done with it.

PS. Apple could give two flips about what happens to those using reverse engineered private APIs. They just don't care, that's why they are 'private' Smile. Apple is free to change them at will to meet their needs.
@belltechdave:
I think if you had the old devices you would be of different opinion.

MrMc Wrote:PS. Apple could give two flips about what happens to those using reverse engineered private APIs. They just don't care, that's why they are 'private' Smile. Apple is free to change them at will to meet their needs.

I see it exactly the same way.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
For the german readers, there was an interview with memphiz some time ago: http://www.macwelt.de/news/Ich-bin-im-XB...50680.html

Quote:Ich bin mir ziemlich sicher, die Apple-Entwickler kennen XBMC und sie kennen vermutlich sogar meinen Quellcode, mit dem ich die Airplay-Unterstützung integriert habe. Manchmal glaube ich, sie machen mit Absicht inkompatible Änderungen.

Rough translation:
Quote:I am quite sure, the apple devs exactly know XBMC and most likely they also know my sourcecode that I used to integrate airplay support. Sometimes I think, it is their intention to make imcompatible changes.
(2015-09-19, 15:32)fritsch Wrote: I think if you had the old devices you would be of different opinion.

Perhaps if you had a newer device, you'd feel differently? I get it, OSS development is focused on the needs of the developer not the special interests of the user base. Developers need to scratch their own itch, right? If someone doesn't like it, he can just download the source and fix it himself, isn't that so?

I'm not sure you were around back in the days when XBMC had built in support for XLink Kai (disclosure: I'm the project leader at Team XLink). As time went on, the devs who maintained the Kai client in XBMC moved on and so support was dropped and later removed from XBMC. This frustrated many Kai users who relied on the XBMC client... but that's the cost of progress isn't it? Maintaining backwards compatibility to satisfy the needs of existing users would have held the XBMC project back, I suppose. Fair enough.

I guess attitudes have changed over the years, though. Fritsch is "totally against supporting IOS8+ as this would make _us_ break Airplay for all the others that cannot upgrade". So, breaking backwards compatibility is a *bad* thing to do now? Well it is to some people. Fine, to each his own. Hopefully another dev steps up to the plate.

BTW, with this new found focus on backwards compatibility and support of legacy hardware, can I assume Kodi 16.0 Jarvis will run *well* on my Jailbroken AppleTV 2 in the future? Thanks, I'll take it out of storage.

-prestige

PS: Has Airplay in XBMC/Kodi ever worked properly, anyway?
In fact one of the most time consuming discussions we have in team kodi is concerning "backwards compatibility" ...

Quote:Perhaps if you had a newer device, you'd feel differently? I get it, OSS development is focused on the needs of the developer not the special interests of the user base.

^^ this is fully wrong ... you get a "lol" for this.

Basically I don't buy hardware that is closed by design without any public working API - I learned this lesson very hard during implementation of XVBA, which was a similar thing, besides there existed a (bad) API while those apple device were never designed to be used with non apple acked hardware.

With every new IOS release I see more and more people standing up and whining to get their expensively bought devices supported - I really don't want to get the emails memphiiz most likely receives. If we - as OSS devs - really would do something for OSS world: We should not support this kind of binary crap without public api with the full intent to break what was reengineered at all. That way apple buyers would learn their lesson or completely stay in apple land.

And as said before: this is my private opinion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Warning Kodi does not work on iOS 9 yet!0