Current cheap HW options + remote controller
Hello,

I'm quite new to Kodi but I love the online multimedia freedom it provides. I've been using The Little Black Box V2 (until the support ended), now I'm using COOD-E, which is significantly faster and much more stable.

Now I'm thinking of some cheaper hardware to run KODI on. Some of my friends would like to experience the magic of KODI as well but on budget. So far I've been thinking of Raspberry Pi 2 as it can be bought for about $40-45. There's no need to have extra powerful hardware as the box will be used only for KODI and nothing else. Reading local forums gave me ideas on some other boxes, but to be honest there are so many options that I'm quite confused. I understand many people must be asking this but even I tried searching I haven't found any well-arranged, compehensible thread yet (of course that doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • cheap hardware box
  • IR (or RC) remote cotroller
  • HDMI and analogue output
  • WiFi reception would be fine (I understand it's not that stable and fast as cable)

- box will be used only for KODI online streaming
- offline streaming from NAS isn't necessary (I mean there's no need to stream large MKV files from NAS i.e., so hardware requirements could be maybe lower?)
- I'd like to use some free OS (so far I've found Openelec - is it a good choice or is there something better?)

Yesterday I almost ordered Raspberry PI 2 from Aliexpress, but decided to wait a bit and ask you, far more experienced, for advice. Unfortunately there's not much information about XBMC available in my country and most discussions are situated in 2013...

Any help is very appreciated, thank you very much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Current cheap HW options + remote controller0