AMD or Intel for a budget HTPC but 100% audio functional
Hello,

I am planning a low budget HTPC and read a lot of topics / forums / opinions / tests ... and everytime that seems I found the setup agian found some issues about drivers / audio / dts-hd ma ...

I kindly ask those more experienced to clarify to me which configuration should I go ...
first I have to mention that the sound will be output from HDMI to a capable (probably Yamaha Aventage 1050) new/2015 AV Receiver, and for the sound I am very very interested to get even the last bit Smile but on video I am not such a fan, of course I want 1080P, but 3D is not a must for me and 4K could wait 2-3 years for me also. No games in this HTPC!

Also, I am interested in Linux / Openelec for using Kodi. (maybe I could learn Ubuntu to also have some other small soft utility ...)

So, reading about the nice video capabilities from AMD APUs I was thinking about:
AMD A6-6400K Richland Dual-Core 3.9 GHz
with GIGABYTE GA-F2A78M-HD2
and some 2x2GB Dual Channel Memory

But it seems I can't be sure in above configuration that I will get all possible audio formats output (raw passthrough to HDMI output) to my AVR !? I have read a lot and finally I don't understand if audio output issues (from HDMI !!!) are 100% solved in curent Openelec/Kodi?

Please can we state if above config will be 100% functional with Linux / Kodi? or still are some "issues"

If yes Sad (still NO 100% functional) than I will ask exactly the same question(s) for an Intel configuration:
ASRock N3150M with integrated APU Intel N3150 http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/N3150M/?c...ifications
and some 2x2GB Dual Channel Memory

Will this Intel config be 100% functional with Linux / Kodi? both audio and video 1080P ...

In my position what will you choose?

Many thanks for your time Smile
Anyone?
go with the 3150 setup and you'll be all set. There's already a large thread consolidating all the info on the Braswell platform (N3050, N3150, N3700) so everything you need to know is already listed.
Thank you Matt,
Yes I have seen / read the Braswell thread ... really interesting!
Just wanted to know if the AMD config was a better in quality video/audio.
If are almost the same quality than I will go with the 3150 ...

Another issue was for me that on AMD config I could expand in the future with a 4K video card (HDMI 2.0 etc.)
which I dont think will be possible with 3150 mainboard ... or am I wrong?

In AMD config I will have a PCI Express x16 3.0
and in 3150 mobo I will have a PCI Express x16 2.0

Will this be a problem in the future to add a 4K video card?
I would avoid AMD video cards (integrated in the CPU or stand alone) if Kodi is your main focus.
Beebox Braswell Box or motherboard. Any of the ones where you can put dual channel memory in them (eg 2x2GB)

True, a mediaplayer based on Kodi is my target.
Seems pretty clear ... Asrock n3150m for no other complications! Smile
Thank you!
Sorry to jump in, but I was thinking about going down this exact route. I was looking at the N3150-ITX, is this better or worse than the n3150m mentioned here.
Do you know what hdmi version is on these boards.
Thanks.
Sony KDL-46HX853 and Sony STR-DN1050
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 5.0 speaker package
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Nvidia shield TV running SPMC
Pi3 running LibreELEC
harmony touch remote control
26GB unRAID server
(2015-09-19, 23:31)Mylo75 Wrote: Sorry to jump in, but I was thinking about going down this exact route. I was looking at the N3150-ITX, is this better or worse than the n3150m mentioned here.
Do you know what hdmi version is on these boards.
Thanks.

*cough*

(2015-09-19, 05:37)Matt Devo Wrote: There's already a large thread consolidating all the info on the Braswell platform (N3050, N3150, N3700) so everything you need to know is already listed.
Sorry matt, reading now.
Sony KDL-46HX853 and Sony STR-DN1050
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 5.0 speaker package
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Nvidia shield TV running SPMC
Pi3 running LibreELEC
harmony touch remote control
26GB unRAID server

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD or Intel for a budget HTPC but 100% audio functional0