Win live tv with cablecard
Help! I need some guidance in setting up Kodi to recognize my cable card tuner so I can receive all of my normal subscription TV channels on my PC. I am using Windows 10 on my Dell PC, have downloaded Kodi 15 and NextPVR. I have the Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 Dual Tuner Digital CableCard Receiver but have been unable to determine the correct procedure for Kodi to recognize my cablecard. I would truly appreciate it if someone could post a step-by-step guide on how to set this up. I've tried many times, trying to follow the steps for "live tv" setup, but obviously I am doing something wrong or missing some steps since my cablecard tuner is not being recognized. Thank you very much for any guidance you can offer.
It's pretty easy to setup this type of device in NextPVR. You need to get it setup in NextPVR before even thinking about what to do in Kodi.

If you go to the Settings->Devices screen, is the device listed there? If not, you need to install the Windows HDHomeRun software from the following link.

http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomeru...indows.exe

The DCR-2650 is a rebranded HDHomeRun device, and NextPVR needs this software to be installed to access HDHomeRun devices. After installing it, don't bother running this HDHomeRun software, you don't need to and you device wont show up anyway. You should now seet the device on the Settings->Devices screen.

From there, it's smooth sailing. You should now see the device on Settings->Devices. Double click the device. Hit Scan...
I'll give that a try. Thank you very much! Believe me, this kind of advice & guidance is invaluable and I appreciate you taking the time to write it down....
Now when i go to Settings-Devices, i can see the Hauppauge 2650. Now what do I do in order for Kodi to recognize it and incorporate all my channels. There are simply no easy to follow instructions for how to proceed with Kodi...
thanks.
hello again sub3,

NextPVR scanned all my channels....took several minutes. then it said "scan finished"....but i see no channels listed. Not sure what to do next. Still doesn't seem to recognize my Hauppauge tuner. And how do I now hook it up to Kodi so it's recognized there as well?
thanks for any further guidance you can offer...
(2015-09-21, 22:46)kritiosboy Wrote: Now when i go to Settings-Devices, i can see the Hauppauge 2650. Now what do I do in order for Kodi to recognize it and incorporate all my channels. There are simply no easy to follow instructions for how to proceed with Kodi...
Just forget about Kodi for now - you've got to get your device working in NextPVR, then hopefully it'll just work in Kodi without having to do anything else.
(2015-09-21, 23:26)kritiosboy Wrote: hello again sub3,

NextPVR scanned all my channels....took several minutes. then it said "scan finished"....but i see no channels listed. Not sure what to do next. Still doesn't seem to recognize my Hauppauge tuner.
Usually a scan would be nearly instant. Do you have your cablecard connected, and the coax cable connected?

You probably need to bring up the device webpage, and tell it to scan there. I'm not in the US, and don't have one of these devices, but I'm guessing the Hauppauge software installed a link somewhere to the device webpage? The page should look like this, and has options to scan etc:

Quote:And how do I now hook it up to Kodi so it's recognized there as well?
thanks for any further guidance you can offer...
As soon as you have the channels setup in NextPVR, then they'll appear in Kodi.
Thank you Sub3. I'll try these things and hope for the best.
Appreciate your input!!!!
(2015-09-21, 23:43)sub3 Wrote: As soon as you have the channels setup in NextPVR, then they'll appear in Kodi.

Does NextPVR now handle QAM channels flagged as COPY ONCE in the US? I have a really kludgy setup to take the analog signal from a cable box and record it, but I'd rather just use my HDHomeRun and NextPVR.

If NextPVR doesn't support COPY ONCE QAM, then the only thing the OP is going to be able to see in NextPVR are the channels that are flagged by his cable company as COPY FREELY. There is, as far as I know, no list anywhere of how channels are flagged from providers, so the list of channels could range from everything (except premiums like HBO) to almost nothing (just the broadcast stations).
(2015-09-23, 01:11)pkscout Wrote: Does NextPVR now handle QAM channels flagged as COPY ONCE in the US? I have a really kludgy setup to take the analog signal from a cable box and record it, but I'd rather just use my HDHomeRun and NextPVR.
No, you cannot view COPY-ONCE / COPY-NEVER channels. The only software that does is Windows Media Center.

The reality is you need very deep pockets to be able to afford adding support for these DRM protected channels, and as a free app NextPVR obviously don't have the funds to go down that path. Even if I did, the content protection requirements would pretty much rule out the ability to watch those channels in Kodi, only allowing you to watch them in NextPVR itself, and only when you have a protected path to monitor (ie HDMI with HDCP).

Thankfully a lot of cable companies have all but their premium channels marked as COPY FREELY. Some others are more miserly, only giving you the local channels.
Still need help...I believe much of the discussion on this thread so far is above my head....
My issue is quite simple but extremely frustrating for someone who is not familiar with all of the options and terminology.
I have been using a Hauppauge WinTV 2650 tuner with my Comcast Cablecard for the past several years to get all my channels on my PC. All was working well. Coax directly from the wall into the tuner, then connected directly to my PC with a USB cord. I was using Windows Media Center which immediately recognized all my channels, including premium channels.
The problem started when I switched to Windows 10, which eliminated WMC. Now I need an alternative which will recognize my tuner and the cablecard channels. I have installed Kodi, NextPVR, and the software from HD HomeRun. NextPVR now sees my device as it lists the WinTV 2650 tuner. however, when I double click on it and try to scan channels it says "tuner not available". The tuner is working properly and the coax is plugged in. Can anyone offer guidance that'll help me with setup? thanks!
(2015-09-23, 20:05)kritiosboy Wrote: NextPVR now sees my device as it lists the WinTV 2650 tuner. however, when I double click on it and try to scan channels it says "tuner not available".
You'll need to try doing this again, then supply the npvr.log so I can take a look. (it may be easy continuing the discussion on the NextPVR forums, where you can post attachments etc)

Normally you'd just click that scan button in NextPVR, and you channel list will appear about 2 seconds later and you'd be good to go.

Did you go into the Hauppauge device web pages I mentioned? If you click the 'Channel Lineup' button in those pages, are your channels listed?
(2015-09-23, 02:17)sub3 Wrote:
(2015-09-23, 01:11)pkscout Wrote: Does NextPVR now handle QAM channels flagged as COPY ONCE in the US? I have a really kludgy setup to take the analog signal from a cable box and record it, but I'd rather just use my HDHomeRun and NextPVR.
No, you cannot view COPY-ONCE / COPY-NEVER channels. The only software that does is Windows Media Center.

The reality is you need very deep pockets to be able to afford adding support for these DRM protected channels, and as a free app NextPVR obviously don't have the funds to go down that path. Even if I did, the content protection requirements would pretty much rule out the ability to watch those channels in Kodi, only allowing you to watch them in NextPVR itself, and only when you have a protected path to monitor (ie HDMI with HDCP).

Thankfully a lot of cable companies have all but their premium channels marked as COPY FREELY. Some others are more miserly, only giving you the local channels.

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought. I really wish the US wasn't so screwed up when it comes to cable content, but we are. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
live tv with cablecard0