Hardware that just works?
So it seems that everyone agrees on that the ASUS CHROMEBOX-M118U, ASrock beebox N3150(perhaps N3000?) and raspberry pi 2 are more than enough for my needs/use?
Yes.

1080p HEVC/h265 will need a Braswell Celeron for Hardware decoding of that codec. ASUS Chromebox / RPi2 will not cut it.
There is a dirt cheap $37 - 1080p HEVC/h265/h264 / AMlogic S805 option that I use that works well, see my signature at the bottom.

And for all the Tech Terms that are unknown to you there is Wikipedia, such as:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wiki+hevc

So did they fix the USB problems with the introduction of the Odroid C1+? It's been a while since I was following it, but I believe the original C1 had some kind of fatal flaw with the regular USB ports and you had to hang everything off the OTG port. Is that right? I was seriously looking at getting one to play with until that cropped up, so I decided to wait for the next revision. Is the C1+ fixed?

I'm not completely against Android, but I'd rather see an OpenELEC build for the Odroid than having to boot Linux and run Kodi on top. Any chance of that happening? Hardware HEVC is a real positive for the Odroid, what about 4K at 60Hz?
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
wrxtasy

I was almost set on buying a RPi2 until I read your post, the Odroid looks very good and a similar price all in. I am now thinking I should go with Odroid. IS there any reason one should not?
@ afremont > No issues with the usb ports even on the original C1. Sandisk SD cards only with this model as there were issues with some other brands. Fixed with the C1+
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15493

@ gredawarha, No HD Audio passthrough or HD to multichannel PCM Audio decoding that the RPi2 has. This is an AMlogic decision that effects all of its SoC's. Also mpeg2 / interlaced DVD Rips have stuttering issues with .ts and .vob containers. No 3D MVC either.

The inbuilt IR receiver on the C1+ is handy too as its pretty easy to custom config your own IR remote. I just use the spare BD function on my Sony TV remote as my old TV does not do HDMI CEC control.
OpenELEC on the C1+ is very responsive, noticeably faster than a RPi2. When the RPi2 is deinterlacing TV with the new Jarvis / OpenELEC dev. builds the Kodi GUI slows down markedly.

No 4K on the C1+ / AMlogic S805. If you want 4K HEVC OpenELEC (up to 30Hz) - the Wetek 4K Core (S812) that will be released this month may have that in OpenELEC, possibly in a dual boot setup.

Only 4K HEVC Kodi platform at up to 60Hz is the NVIDIA Shield due to its HDMI 2.0

@wrxtasy thanks, does the Odroid C1 remote work with your openelec build?
Yes. MCE compatible Remotes as well. All Major issues have been fixed apart from the mpeg2 in .ts and .vob containers I've previously mentioned.

Also be aware those HDMI cables with Ethernet channels built in have been causing Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching problems. The HardKernel ones are fine.

Okay Guys i did order the asus chromebox but theres a New Electronic store opening today in My city and they have an asus vm42 s044v vivo on sale for the same price as a chromebox. It Comes with a 2957U processor. Is that a better purchase? If it is im going to buy it today
(2015-10-03, 14:36)wrxtasy Wrote: @ afremont > No issues with the usb ports even on the original C1. Sandisk SD cards only with this model as there were issues with some other brands. Fixed with the C1+
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15493

@ gredawarha, No HD Audio passthrough or HD to multichannel PCM Audio decoding that the RPi2 has. This is an AMlogic decision that effects all of its SoC's. Also mpeg2 / interlaced DVD Rips have stuttering issues with .ts and .vob containers. No 3D MVC either.

The inbuilt IR receiver on the C1+ is handy too as its pretty easy to custom config your own IR remote. I just use the spare BD function on my Sony TV remote as my old TV does not do HDMI CEC control.
OpenELEC on the C1+ is very responsive, noticeably faster than a RPi2. When the RPi2 is deinterlacing TV with the new Jarvis / OpenELEC dev. builds the Kodi GUI slows down markedly.

No 4K on the C1+ / AMlogic S805. If you want 4K HEVC OpenELEC (up to 30Hz) - the Wetek 4K Core (S812) that will be released this month may have that in OpenELEC, possibly in a dual boot setup.

Only 4K HEVC Kodi platform at up to 60Hz is the NVIDIA Shield due to its HDMI 2.0

Thank you for all your help, I wonder perhaps if you could answer a quick question.

Pretty sure I will go with either an Odroid C1 or RPi2 (leaning toward the Odroid), one of these will be plugged into my 5.1 surround sound:

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-v...mode=model

Will I be missing out on anything relating to the audio side of things using either of these with my AV set up? Based on everyting you have said so far I think the Odroid is the one for me but my knowledge of the audio differences between RPi2 and Odroid C1 is lacking.

Appreciate your comments.
If you want more than Dolby Digital/DTS into that amp - which will support HD Audio via multichannel PCM (it doesn't have DTS HD/True HD decoding - but will allow off board decoding) then the PI 2 is a better bet, as it has multichannel PCM output (unlike the ODroid)
Picked up this Chromebox a couple weeks ago, set it up using the EZ install thread, & it works perfectly. True HD, DTS-MA & 5.1 PCM via HDMI @ 24 fps flawlessly.

ASUS Chromebox M004U

I'm in a 1080p environment but the only 4K material I have is the 4K Elysium trailer & plays just fine at ~ 13% CPU load. 1080p full MKV rips run ~ 9% CPU.

It just works, very easy to set up. Love it. Cool
(2015-10-05, 22:43)noggin Wrote: If you want more than Dolby Digital/DTS into that amp - which will support HD Audio via multichannel PCM (it doesn't have DTS HD/True HD decoding - but will allow off board decoding) then the PI 2 is a better bet, as it has multichannel PCM output (unlike the ODroid)

Thanks. So the question I guess is will I notice the audio difference. Still not sure whether to go Odroid or RPi2.
(2015-10-06, 00:14)gredawarha Wrote:
(2015-10-05, 22:43)noggin Wrote: If you want more than Dolby Digital/DTS into that amp - which will support HD Audio via multichannel PCM (it doesn't have DTS HD/True HD decoding - but will allow off board decoding) then the PI 2 is a better bet, as it has multichannel PCM output (unlike the ODroid)

Thanks. So the question I guess is will I notice the audio difference. Still not sure whether to go Odroid or RPi2.

That's the question. Also - if you want to listen to FLAC or AAC multichannel stuff (Freeview HD is 5.1 AAC in the UK) you will need to transcode to Dolby Digital on the C1 (which will mean a double encode in the case of AAC stuff) whereas the Pi will output multichannel PCM.

I've got both a C1 and Pi 2s. I use the Pi 2s a lot more, but I know others who prefer the C1.
Since you surround set doesn't support HD audio it won't matter..
Maybe this will help gredawarha, the Pi has its own dedicated build of OpenELEC that has the goal of making all the hardware work to its full capability. With the exception of the Wetek hardware builds, the other ARM based platforms don't. That said, there are Amlogic builds out there, but they aren't done by the official Kodi developers. That information comes from here: http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

I presume that the Odroid is running one of those Amlogic builds, but I'm not positive on that. They could be simply running Kodi on top of the Hard Kernel Linux distro, I really don't know. On low power hardware like the Pi or Odroid C1, personally I would go for OpenELEC and not Kodi. The odroid C1 is neat, but not neat enough to get me to change horses right now. If the Pi2 hadn't come out, I'd be all over the C1. I'm big into 7.1 surround sound so I want the hardware to support it as well as possible.

I've got enough different platforms to confuse me as it is. I'm working with OpenELEC on the Pi, Kodi on the Amazon Fire TV Stick, Kodi on top of Mythbuntu (Braswell NUC) and Kodi in Windows. I just don't want to add any more hardware varieties to my plate right now.

If you go with the Pi, be sure to get a full 2A power supply and don't skimp on your HDMI cable. Those are two of the biggest sources of new user frustration. After that, your flash card can be fussy. If you don't get video, try another HDMI cable. If you don't get blinky lights from the flash card booting, try a different card. The Pi is not unique when it comes to these particular issues. My NUC worked just fine with an HDMI monitor, but absolutely refuse to supply video to my TVs/AVRs using the exact same cable. I have no idea why. The cable is thin and came with the monitor, so.....
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware that just works?0