Intel BOXNUC7I3BNH 1356 2.40GHz i3-7100U for 4K video files: do you know it?
Hi, as my Bravia Sony TV sometimes doesn't work well with my 4K videos, I'm thinking to buy an external box. My videos are 4K and with hight bitrate. The bitrate is always more than 500M. I'm thinking to buy an Intel BOXNUC7I3BNH 1356 2.40GHz i3-7100U but I'm inexperienced totally about external boxes. I will connect that box with an external hardrive with USB3. In your opinion will that box work fine with my files? I'd like to know some suggestions by guys are using this kind of boxes. If you like to suggest another box than that, your advice is welcome. Thanks.
Moved to Hardware
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-11-05, 00:23)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Hi, as my Bravia Sony TV sometimes doesn't work well with my 4K videos, I'm thinking to buy an external box. My videos are 4K and with hight bitrate.

Hi..welcome,
Unless you are doing more then just playing back media files then all you need is a Plug n Play media player.

Options:

- Vero 4K+, runs Kodi only - plug in a Hard drive and you are good to go. Very good 4K HDR support.

- NVIDIA Shield, runs Android TV which means a whole suite of different Apps including Kodi. More of a Swiss Army Knife media player.

PS: even UHD Bluray Rips only have a max. Bitrate of 120 Mbit - even USB2 can handle that.
500Mbit is way over the top.

(2018-11-05, 02:02)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-05, 00:23)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Hi, as my Bravia Sony TV sometimes doesn't work well with my 4K videos, I'm thinking to buy an external box. My videos are 4K and with hight bitrate.

PS: even UHD Bluray Rips only have a max. Bitrate of 120 Mbit - even USB2 can handle that.
Thanks for your reply. In your opinion why do I have to buy a Vero 4K+ or a NVIDIA Shield if my Bravia TV read up to 500M? Smile I think you are a great expert of media players but not about videoediting. Wink Anyway I thank you.
(2018-11-05, 02:02)wrxtasy Wrote:

Hi..welcome,
Unless you are doing more then just playing back media files then all you need is a Plug n Play media player.

Options:

- Vero 4K+, runs Kodi only - plug in a Hard drive and you are good to go. Very good 4K HDR support.

- NVIDIA Shield, runs Android TV which means a whole suite of different Apps including Kodi. More of a Swiss Army Knife media player.

I think the OP wants to watch content that is in a production codec (i.e. the output from a higher-end camera or an edit intermediate), not a highly compressed distribution codec.  (All the codecs that most Kodi hardware plays are incredibly highly compressed. (*))

Chances are it's 4:2:2/4:4:4 or even RAW high bitrate stuff straight from a camera if it's 500Mbs.  It may also be in Log rather than 709/2020 SDR or HDR and need to go through a LUT to look watchable.

Mainstream HD edit intermediate codecs are usually 4:2:2 in the 200Mbs (ProRes HQ or DNxHD 185) area - so UHD/4K stuff is often higher still, as are the codecs used in cameras (which are sometimes different to the edit intermediates)

To the OP - if you want to watch edit production codecs that are 4:2:2, 4:4:4 or RAW, then you'll need to use a reasonably powerful x86 box (possibly with a decent GPU if you need realtime RAW processing) - such as a PC or a Mac.  This is because only 4:2:0 distribution codecs like those used on DVD (4:2:0 MPEG2 up to 10Mbs), Blu-Ray (4:2:0 H264/AVC or VC-1 up to around 50Mbs), UHD Blu-ray (4:2:0 H265/HEVC up to around 120Mbs) can be decoded using the hardware acceleration in ARM SoCs (like are in your Sony TV, and in devices like nVidia Shield TV, ATV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AMLogic S9xx boxes etc.) or in the hardware acceleration on lower spec x86 PCs.

For realtime playback of edit intermediates or high end camera recordings, you'll need a PC/Mac capable of editing that content.  You may also find that DaVinci Resolve, Avid Media Composer. FCPX, Premiere Pro are a more optimised playback solution (possibly using GPU compute for acceleration) than Kodi - which is really optimised for consumer, not pro, codecs.

Alternatively do what most of us in the broadcast industry do - make a high quality viewing copy.  This is a transcode to 4:2:0 H264 or H265 at a high, but not too high, bitrate (in a format and bitrate that CAN be played on a cheap player) 4:2:0 MPEG2/H264/H265 is how media will be broadcast or distributed - so it's not a major quality loss (it reduces the vertical chroma resolution to be symmetrical with the horizontal chroma resolution) and compatible LongGOP Inter-frame codecs like H264/H265 can deliver far higher quality at lower bitrates than incompatible IntraFrame single-frame codecs (like ProRes, DNx, AVCi etc.)

Bottom line - if you want to use a consumer player solution - you need to convert pro-media to a consumer format...

(*) I think many forget how low the bitrates that consumer media is compressed to are (and when I see 120Mbs described as high bitrate for UHD it does make me smile a bit Smile )

SD uncompressed 720x576/50i 4:2:2 8 bit = 165Mbs - and that was compressed to <10Mbs 4:2:0 on DVD (and lower for broadcast)
HD uncompressed 1920x1080/50i 4:2:2 8 bit = 830Mbs - and that was compressed to <50Mbs 4:2:0 on Blu-ray (and <20Mbs lower for broadcast)
UHD uncompressed 3840x2160/23.976p 10 bit = 4Gbs - and that is being compressed to <120Mbs 4:2:0 on UHD Blu-ray (and <30Mbs for streaming)
UHD uncompressed 3840x2160/50p 4:2:2 10 bit = 8.3Gbs - and that is being compressed to <120Mbs 4:2:0 on UHD Blu-ray (and <30Mbs for broadcast)
(Incidentally - the above figure means UHD 2160/50p at 8.3Gbs just fits into a 10GbE connection in real time - which is very useful now IP rather than HD-SDI production is becoming widespread, 2160/59.94p doesn't quite fit - so Tico or VC-2 mezzanine compression is needed)

The final bitrates used for 4:2:0 distribution (and 4:2:0 itself) are far too low quality for shooting and editing, so you can see why we use 50Mbs+ codecs for SD, 200Mbs+ codecs for HD, and 400Mbs+ codecs for UHD during production.  If you want to watch content in those production codecs - you need powerful hardware, or instead to watch a transcode of that codec.
Huh?? I watch only videos made by myself with a camera. They are 50p UHD 8bit. Then I make videoediting with Edius and I make UHD mp4.
(2018-11-05, 12:11)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Huh?? I watch only videos made by myself with a camera. They are 50p UHD 8bit. Then I make videoediting with Edius and I make UHD mp4.
 If that's the case then you should probably be mastering at something like max 50Mbs 4:2:0 H265/HEVC UHD max in mp4 - then they will play on anything. 500Mbs is far too high.

However - do you mean 'bitrate is 500M' or that your finished files are 500MB in size?  That's a VERY different thing.

A file 500MB in size would last : 80 seconds at 50Mb/s (6.25MB/s), 160 seconds at 25Mb/s (3.125MB/s) etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel BOXNUC7I3BNH 1356 2.40GHz i3-7100U for 4K video files: do you know it?0