Need advice or suggestions
I was browsing my local Craigslist for some computer parts and came across this guy selling a tiny little box that looks like an external hard drive case. All you do is plug it into your LAN and your TV and you got yourself a virtually unlimited supply of free online digital streaming content. It was really neat. I asked him if he could give me some direction to how he builds them, since I'd like to try and build my own. Of course, he's neglected to reply, probably doesn't want to give away his trade secrets since he sells the box pre built and pre installed. I thought maybe it was running some form of Linux on a Raspberry Pi, but really don't know. I've heard of the Pi and all the things people are doing with them, but I'm not sure if that's what he did. He said its a quad core in his YouTube video, so that's probably not what he used. Anyway, he had a link to his Facebook page in the ad, and on that I discovered him linking to various Kodi tips and how to implement them on "his box". That's where I learned about Kodi.

I really like the idea of a completely silent media center pc that runs on very low power, like the Pi could do. I built an HTPC a few years ago, and actually still use it all the time. I run Emby on it, and have an +80Tb home server that houses a ton of media. However, I'm finding Emby has a tremendous lacking when it comes to online steaming. There are maybe 3 or 4 plugins in total that I use (and 2 of them are for adult usage heh). Looking through the available addons here, it looks like Kodi has a fairly large selection of online channels.

So anyway, the video "example" he provided, and his Facebook links all point to Kodi as being the program he's using, and I'd like to have it too!.. Would somebody be kind enough to point me in the right direction to get started, or an idea of what to buy? My basic key parts I would need are: gigabit lan, WiFi, some kind of infrared receiver so I can use a remote, hardware capable of playing back HD streams, and maybe playback from my file server. I don't need local live TV support as my primary HTPC already has 5 runners on it for that. I just want something small and basic that can stream from the internet.

Thanks guys! I look forward to getting involved with the program and the community!
The Pi2 is quad core.

As for your other questions:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Forum_rules#Piracy_Policy
Ahh, sorry I didn't realize that I was going outside the rules. I assume you're talking about movies. That's alright, I'm mainly interested TV anyway, which is pretty much public domain once it's aired (like cable-free shows on networks like CBS, NBC, ect). I'll try to edit the OP. I was mainly just looking for some form of confirmation that this is what I was looking for as far as hardware. I've never done anything with the Raspberry Pi so I wanted to make sure before I bought one.

Would it be better to start from scratch and get the Pi, and then try and get whatever addon modules I need, or buy a prebuilt machine?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need advice or suggestions0