A Kodi, Proxy and VPN walk into a bar....
Are plugins which feature proxy and vpn redirection allowed in the official Kodi repository?
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Do you mean that they circumvent or purposely workaround geolocks (geograpical locks) that would normally prehibit and restrict you from streaming a media file outside a specific geograpical region.

While that might technically not be piracy it may be breach of copyright since you are violating the EULA (End-User License Agreement) that the rightful content owner have specifically put on that media stream.

My guess is that if your plugin embedd the geolock circumvention within the media addon then that is probabably illegal in most countries, but I would however assume that is if the VPN part was instead a completly seperate generic VPN service addon that the users has to configure themselves to enable per media addon then that might be legal, or at least the user then need to take the active choice to install the seperate VPN service and go into it to activate configure it specifically for each media addon.
Good question nonetheless, where should the line be drawn.
(2015-09-29, 08:35)RockerC Wrote: Do you mean that they circumvent or purposely workaround geolocks (geograpical locks) that would normally prehibit and restrict you from streaming a media file outside a specific geograpical region.

While that might technically not be piracy it may be breach of copyright since you are violating the EULA (End-User License Agreement) that the rightful content owner have specifically put on that media stream.

My guess is that if your plugin embedd the geolock circumvention within the media addon then that is probabably illegal in most countries, but I would however assume that is if the VPN part was instead a completly seperate generic VPN service addon that the users has to configure themselves to enable per media addon then that might be legal, or at least the user then need to take the active choice to install the seperate VPN service and go into it to activate configure it specifically for each media addon.
Good question nonetheless, where should the line be drawn.

This is my point exactly, It can be argued manipulation of the user agent header to circumvent access to urls would apply aswel.

I'd really like a Kodi Team Member to clear this up...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I don't think there are any rules against it so it should be fine.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_rules
it's a grey area for sure, and it will be tough to draw a clear line somewhere.
as such, i think every addon will have to be looked at individually.

imo the biggest concern is the public view people have of kodi.
we wish to distance ourselves from the idea that kodi is all about piracy and getting your content for free.
if, on the other hand, we support a repository filled with vpn/proxy/torrent/etc.. addons, i wonder if that will aid us in reaching that goal.

in case your addon needs proxy/vpn functionality in order to bypass certain geoip blocks,
you may have to ask yourself whether that would be legal or not...
and if such a bypass wouldn't violate the TOS of the website you're trying to access.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A Kodi, Proxy and VPN walk into a bar....0