taking kodi away from home
hello all. my kodi is setup to use sql database on a remote server. if i take kodi with me outside my home and also take a hard drive, how can i still use it as if i am at home? this may sound stupid but here is the cause of the question... if i am NOT in my home network, or i have no network at all, kodi seems to hang and not load. i dont mind connecting my kodi using my cellular network as a hotspot to connect to my remote sql database which will load kodi, but then my files dont work since it cant find the share. at this point, i can connect the hard drive via usb and mount it that way. the only problem is now, how can i continue to mark the files watched and playback progress? i wouldnt want to mount the hard drive and add the usb source and rescrape the files, then having a duplicate library entrees.

after posting it, im trying to think even more. i dont believe that sql will work at all since the sql file paths point to a specific source where the file is located. so i am not sure at all how to do this.
What I like to do when I'm away and take a few movies with me on my laptop is use the trakt.tv addon. It will mark the movies as watched on the website when you are done. Then come home, run the addon and it updates whatever movies/shows I watched and how many times Smile
(2015-09-28, 22:06)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: What I like to do when I'm away and take a few movies with me on my laptop is use the trakt.tv addon. It will mark the movies as watched on the website when you are done. Then come home, run the addon and it updates whatever movies/shows I watched and how many times Smile

so i can make a new profile. add the usb sources, make sure trakt.tv addon is running, and watch them on that profile when im away. that way when im home i sync with trakt.tv and switch to my default profile? sounds good! thanks!!!
Let us know how it goes!
You should take a look at this add-on
(2015-09-29, 15:24)Talguy Wrote: You should take a look at this add-on

Woah, that's epic. I will def have to give this a look, I think OP should check this out as well!
will check it out thanks!

(2015-09-29, 19:23)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:

Woah, that's epic. I will def have to give this a look, I think OP should check this out as well!

i will give it a try but like i said, i usually just pull out a hard drive and use an enclosure when i take it outside the home along with my kodi device. hopefully that addon (XBMC-agogo) will also be an alt method. it says it copies the library to another hdd which if thats the case wont work for my case. but, its a great way to share media with friends it seems! will give both a try!!!!
i was going thru the wiki and noticed something. im not sure if this will work but what about http://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution for a OTG profile? say u have a OTG profile with the same settings as your main except with this pointing to your usb hdd and not your networked hdd. this would let us take our hdds with us and same paths, just local not networked.
(2015-10-19, 23:42)dr-oopie Wrote: i was going thru the wiki and noticed something. im not sure if this will work but what about http://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution for a OTG profile? say u have a OTG profile with the same settings as your main except with this pointing to your usb hdd and not your networked hdd. this would let us take our hdds with us and same paths, just local not networked.
It works fine - but only if you're using a local database. No good for mysql.
(2015-10-19, 23:42)dr-oopie Wrote: i was going thru the wiki and noticed something. im not sure if this will work but what about http://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution for a OTG profile? say u have a OTG profile with the same settings as your main except with this pointing to your usb hdd and not your networked hdd. this would let us take our hdds with us and same paths, just local not networked.

Awesome workaround! Perfect for future reference!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
taking kodi away from home0