• 5(current)
Android Open Hour Gecko Unboxing and Feedback
I'm lost. couto, you mentioned "looks like Hiplayer doesnt support ISO files", but that's its very advantage (especially 3D) in HiMedia Q5. So, it's playing 3D in 2D mode? Also, as it's either Kodi player (dvdplayer) or HiPlayer, it appears all Gecko is doing is using a custom playercorefactory.xml (vs. a custom Kodi)? Confusing as HiPlayer's UI looks the same as dvdplayer's.

Some of the moderator posts at Open Hour forum are unbelievable; Gecko may turn out to be a good player, but signing on to give it a try seems like punishment.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
As hdmkv stated, it looks like the Gecko is using a custom playercorefactory.xml with specific rules as to which player is being used depending on the type of media.

Unless the default media player is changed, then DVDPlayer will always show as being the default. But that does not reflect what has been set in the playercorefactory.xml.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Playercorefactory.xml

I have no stake in whether this device is good or not, but I have to say that a lot of what your posting about seems to be done without much research or knowledge as to how Kodi works.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-10-05, 13:40)hdmkv Wrote: I'm lost. couto, you mentioned "looks like Hiplayer doesnt support ISO files", but that's its very advantage (especially 3D) in HiMedia Q5. So, it's playing 3D in 2D mode? Also, as it's either Kodi player (dvdplayer) or HiPlayer, it appears all Gecko is doing is using a custom playercorefactory.xml (vs. a custom Kodi)? Confusing as HiPlayer's UI looks the same as dvdplayer's.

Some of the moderator posts at Open Hour forum are unbelievable; Gecko may turn out to be a good player, but signing on to give it a try seems like punishment.

I mention that because the Popup window shows DVDplayer (default) and when i try change the ISO to Hiplayer player, the ISO don't play, so my assumption was that the default player to ISO is/was DVDplayer..

3DMKV don't play, with or without naming...
Every ISO I've played has small errors in Kodi, and its it or miss to find the correct movie chapter to play...
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2015-10-05, 13:50)Tinwarble Wrote: I have no stake in whether this device is good or not, but I have to say that a lot of what your posting about seems to be done without much research or knowledge as to how Kodi works.

I haven't use XBMC/Kodi for a long time (since 2012 ) but my knowledge is enough to understand what settings should be used or for audio and video presented in KODI... its not rocket science is it...
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

Over 3 yrs. is a long time to have not have used Kodi. There have been a lot of changes since 2012, and really a lot of changes with respect to Android.

I'm not trying to insult or belittle you, but may you do have the knowledge to know what the settings should be, then maybe you don't. No, it's not rocket science, but it is also not not complicated. When it comes to Android, not every device is the same and not every device has the exact same settings or abilities.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I have been testing mine. It reports 23.976 as 24. But after reading HDMKV he is finding the same for the himedia player now as well. When watching a video I have not noticed the microstutter but i am not the best at always seeing it.
Hi halfelite, when you play 3D ISO's via Kodi, does it play in full, frame-packed 3D? Also, is the player Kodi or an external player like HiMedia's?

Quote:But after reading HDMKV he is finding the same for the himedia player now as well.
I'm installing HiMedia's last best regarded firmware Q5 4K3D. 18-JUN-2015. FIRMWARE HMD-1.0.9.1 FUTEKO-EN and re-testing in a bit. Will post results to HiMedia Q5 thread here.
My HT
Everything goes to hiplayer. and its full framed packed
So, sounds like HiMedia... does HiPlayer external player UI look different? Meaning, like HiMedia, it's using a wrapper to launch playback in this different-looking external player?
My HT
The player looks identical to kodi. even down to the settings menu

https://youtu.be/xH78vYr64hc?t=108 you can see it there. The only difference you can noticed in the settings menu is no up/down arrows next to subtitle options.
Wow, so they are trying to ape the Kodi player; basically, trying to fool us that 3D ISO's are playing via custom Kodi?
My HT
No think they just tried to make it match. As a lot of complaints on old boxes was always the UI does not flow for external players. A lot of people hated the chameleon UI of the player. Nothing worse then having the kodi experience and going to change audio or subtitles and the UI looks like a 5 year old made it.
I see someone posted a video showing this... basically same as what HiMedia is doing (external player, which is HiPlayer), but Cloud Media (Syabas) is making its UI look like Kodi videoplayer's UI here; seems kinda disingenuous.

My HT
(2015-10-08, 13:44)hdmkv Wrote: I see someone posted a video showing this... basically same as what HiMedia is doing (external player, which is HiPlayer), but Cloud Media (Syabas) is making its UI look like Kodi videoplayer's UI here; seems kinda disingenuous.

if that's so.. its a shame
Cause that means :
- some addons will still not work
- if you change the kodi skin, the gui of the player wont change with it !!!!

The thing is though, you dont see anything of that hiplayer (external player) launching or quitting
One more review to the Gecko, this time with benchmarks... Link to Drops of Wisdom review

Quote:The Gecko is a closed box, meaning it is not pre-rooted, and currently no rooting solution can be found for it.

I guess the CloudMedia has no plans to release any source code...
And has soon Himedia Q5 release their firmware im sure the gecko will also release "theirs"

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Open Hour Gecko Unboxing and Feedback0