MXQ/MXIII/MXV - Should I buy them?
Hi all,
I went online and saw all these 'proloaded' and 'jailbroken' android boxes on ebay. Should I buy any of them? I read the discussions on this forum and none of you seems to even mention these boxes. Can I ask why?

I just want to be able to watch streaming TV and movies - not looking for storage/HDD-enabled boxes. Do you think the above boxes will suffice? If yes, then which one of these to buy and where can I find a good comparison between MXQ vs. MX3 vs. MXV vs. <any newer version which I don't know about>?

Thanks guys.
You should read the forum rules
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Hi bry-

I just read the forum rules. I apologize if my mention of the words 'jailbroken' or 'preloaded' refers to pirated content. I am not assuming that these boxes have pirated streams, but might have pre-configured legal streams for out-f-the-box use.

However, my question is purely about the MXQ or MX3 or M8 HARDWARE that do these boxes work adequately and can they be bought just for watching legal streaming TV?
Yes they can, However Hardware quality may be dodgy and there have been known Hardware failures. Android / Kodi on these boxes is hit and miss with very little Firmware support which is a real and common problem.

OpenELEC / Kodi works well on AMlogic S802/S805/S812 devices, so long as the distro its well supported.
How do I know ?
Well it helps when you compile you own OpenELEC images on reliable AMLogic S805 Hardware with proper Firmware support from the seller. Wink

There is also this:
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...8b-and-mxq

See here:
V
V

(2015-10-02, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes they can, However Hardware quality may be dodgy and there have been known Hardware failures. Android / Kodi on these boxes is hit and miss with very little Firmware support which is a real and common problem.

OpenELEC / Kodi works well on AMlogic S802/S805/S812 devices, so long as the distro its well supported.
How do I know ?
Well it helps when you compile you own OpenELEC images on reliable AMLogic S805 Hardware with proper Firmware support from the seller. Wink

There is also this:
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...8b-and-mxq

See here:
V
V
I have/had a dozen different Android boxes/sticks in the last 2.5 years, including the expensive Minix X8 Plus. This little $35 MK808B Plus (Amlogic S805) is absolutely the best and most functional device that I own. I use it for my PVR/DVR server AND client, using OpenELEC from Kszaq, I also have used it for Ubuntu with dual boot by using the firmware and instructions from Eumel. As Wrxtasy can attest to, this Amlogic S805 is just a fantastic little SoC.
Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04 on MK808b Plus
Please don't buy these "preloaded" boxes. Not only for the very good reasons stated above but also because it will encourage the piracy peddlers even more.

There are lots of great hardware recommendations on this forum.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MXQ/MXIII/MXV - Should I buy them?0