Kodibuntu - Mounting a Second Hard Drive Permanently
Hi Guys;

So recently i installed KodiBuntu on my main HTPC, and so far loving it. But i am having an issue with permanently mounting a second hard drive. If i log in to Desktop mode i can see my drive, then if i log back into Kodi, i can add the drive. but when i restart the machine the drive disappears.
Can someone please tell me how to permanently mount it. i am a very average user when it comes to Linux

Kind Regards.
Your two options are either to add the drive to /etc/fstab to have it mounted on boot or to add it to the auto mounter and have it mount whenever you try and access the directory its mounted as.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal...wHardDrive details the fstab method toward the bottom.
how do i access the auto mounter. Would it be possible to give me detailed instructions on how to do this. i find the desktop mode very confusing, it took me a while to find the terminal. i have used fedora 14 years ago, can barely remember any commands.

kind regards.
Is this an external (e.g. USB) drive? Is it NTFS formatted (windows)? Here's a few more pages to read through. I had a similar issue and these were helpful for me:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab#ntfs
http://askubuntu.com/questions/113733/ho...-etc-fstab
You have to do this in terminal. The "AutoMount" feature in the desktop environment doesn't work with NTFS external drives until fstab has been edited.
Its a internal NTFS formatted with Windows. whats the best way to automount it
Via /etc/fstab. There is plenty of documentation online.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So i open terminal and type /etc/fstab?
i am not a linux user. i have checked online and it doesnt work

i am just asking for detailed instructions on how to do it from the beginning to the end.
I am a noob in linux
TBH...You shouldn't use Kodibuntu.

Kodibuntu (and Linux in this way) seems to confuse you more, then it would help you. Don't get me wrong...absolutely no offense. But there is a system out there, that is made for you. It's called OpenELEC.

Download it from here: http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

Follow the instructions about how to install from here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO...g_OpenELEC

and if you then have questions, open a new thread and ask them.

If you are not able to search for the works "How to mount HDD in Ubuntu tutorial", not able to read and to try to understand how it would be done (there are step by step guides out there)...then you really should go the OpenELEC way. OpenELEC is made for non-linuxers like you. Where nearly everything works out of the box.

Greetings
Well to be honest I am enjoying kodibuntu... True... I find it difficult, but I am slowly progressing. I eventually updated Kodi to 15.1 after hours researching.

I just want detailed instructions on how to Automount my second drive, from beginning to the end.

Iam sure alot of people here know how to do it.

I have searched online but it is still not working. So if I may. Can you please tell my how to automount my second HDD
Unfortunately there isn't a simple script you can follow, since every configuration is different. Read those two links I posted, and with some experimentation, you will find the answer. I'll try to post a copy of my fstab with an NTFS formatted USB drive automount, but it won't be until later today. Regardless, your's will look different.

Also, in one of those links, it specifically states a command to type in a terminal that both allows you to edit fstab and make a backup copy in case something goes south.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mounti...Partitions
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
well...

so lets start:

open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo lshw -C disk

Look for "logical name" to know if it is "sda" "sdb" or anything else

after knowing that you could enter

Code:
sudo blkid

to get the UUID. It's recommended to use the UUID for mounting drives.

after you know your HDD and its UUID you have to create a mount point for iit. This should be done in /media....so create the point with:

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/mynewhdd

Note: "mynewhdd" is only an example. You can change that to anything you want, but you have to remember it...and it's case sensitive. So be carefull with upper and lower charakters.

Now you have to know which filesystem should be used (or is already used) on that disk (NTFS, FAT32, ext4, ext3 and so on). As you are using Linux, I would recommend to use either ext3 or ext4. If the HDD is already formatted with NTFS or FATxx, I would recommend to format it again. But you are able to mount those, too.

if you are done with the filesystem-thing, you have to edit the /etc/fstab with an editor of your choice (I would recommend nano, as this might the easiest for you):

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

then you have to enter a line which specifies your HDD, the filesystem and the mountpoint. An example can look like this:

Quote:UUID=bbf85ecb-cc61-40ed-ba7b-d7b804ee845e /media/mynewhdd ext3 defaults 0 2

If you went through the whole steps and did a reboot...and if you did everything correct...the new HDD should be there and mounted.

But you see, it's not that simple for a noob. Might be, that the above is not quiet correct. It's just what I googled and what is already linked in here. For further informations you should really try to read those links which are posted here....they are helpfull. Asking us "Tell me how to do it" won't get you any further....tell us what at which point is unclear. So we could explain a bit more.

If anyone sees a big mistake in the above...feel free to correct me. I'll delete this posting if it is crap Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu - Mounting a Second Hard Drive Permanently0