How to get remote to work specifically with kodi & the mouse on another monitor?
Hello,

I have a windows 10pc and dual monitor set up from the video card. 1 monitor is the computer monitor and the other is the TV.

I want to be able to watch Kodi on the tv and have someone else use the computer for work on the other monitor.

Windows 10 does a great job when using extended desktop by giving you the start menu on both screens, and allowing different short cuts on each screen.

I set it up so kodi opens automatically on the tv but the mouse is shared by both monitors. Is there a way to have a remote control (or ps3 controller) set up to only use Kodi and not disturb the mouse being used on the other monitor? and vice-versa?

The mouse can be used to open Kodi but once Kodi is open I want the remote to control Kodi only with no affect on the mouse.

Any suggestions would help.

Thank you,
The problem is, if you do this, using something on the 2nd screen will take context away from kodi so remotes/ps3 controller wont work.

To do what you want you'll probably have to set up separate virtual machine.
I think that an android app like yatse or kore would work perfectly through wifi on the same network...
There are 2 separate issues here...

1. Disabling the mouse in kodi, so it doesn't appear on screen.
This thread suggests that can be done by editing the keymap using <noop>. Never tried, but it's somewhere to start. Edit: Doh. There's probably a setting in the gui to disable it, but it's not something I'd ever notice - anything I've used a remote with hasn't had a mouse connected, and vice-versa.

2. Losing focus. As said, someone using a mouse will take the focus away from kodi so your remote won't work.
You can get around this with a autohotkey script - there are guides around for re-tasking the green button on an mce remote to open / maximize / focus kodi, you could do something similar.

The potential problem I see is that you could end up with a fight for focus between mouse and remote.
A wi-fi remote is definitely worth thinking about - as above it should 'just work' - obviously you'll still have to disable the mouse within kodi.
I agree with trogggy, focus will be a problem.

Windows 10 however, has virtual desktops. I haven't tried it yet, but is it maybe possible to put a virtual desktop on each screen? I think focus will still be an issue, but it might solve some of the other problems.
If your setup is good enough, you won't have to worry about virtual desktops. Check in the system settings->Video Output and set "Use Fullscreen window." Now you won't have to worry about losing focus, but if you're system isn't strong enough or you're doing too much on monitor 2 then this option may make your playback choppy. Then go to Input Devices and disable mouse/touchscreen support. This way your mouse will never interact with Kodi. Check into eventghost there is an option for you to disable HID(make your remote not act like a keyboard). It's a bit of a pain to setup eventghost, but it is by far the BEST/COOLEST htpc software available next to Kodi!
(2015-10-04, 21:28)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: If your setup is good enough, you won't have to worry about virtual desktops. Check in the system settings->Video Output and set "Use Fullscreen window." Now you won't have to worry about losing focus, but if you're system isn't strong enough or you're doing too much on monitor 2 then this option may make your playback choppy. Then go to Input Devices and disable mouse/touchscreen support. This way your mouse will never interact with Kodi. Check into eventghost there is an option for you to disable HID(make your remote not act like a keyboard). It's a bit of a pain to setup eventghost, but it is by far the BEST/COOLEST htpc software available next to Kodi!

Hello,

Thank you for all the replies, it's bee a busy few days and I haven't been able do much with the set up.

The pc should be strong enough as it is bran new core i7 12 gig ram with on board video card with it's own ram as well.

What does use full screen window setting actually do? How do I specify what screen to use this setting on? If I disable the mouse won't it disable it for both monitors?

Thank you,
(2015-10-06, 21:36)DjEclipse Wrote:
(2015-10-04, 21:28)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: If your setup is good enough, you won't have to worry about virtual desktops. Check in the system settings->Video Output and set "Use Fullscreen window." Now you won't have to worry about losing focus, but if you're system isn't strong enough or you're doing too much on monitor 2 then this option may make your playback choppy. Then go to Input Devices and disable mouse/touchscreen support. This way your mouse will never interact with Kodi. Check into eventghost there is an option for you to disable HID(make your remote not act like a keyboard). It's a bit of a pain to setup eventghost, but it is by far the BEST/COOLEST htpc software available next to Kodi!

Hello,

Thank you for all the replies, it's bee a busy few days and I haven't been able do much with the set up.

The pc should be strong enough as it is bran new core i7 12 gig ram with on board video card with it's own ram as well.

What does use full screen window setting actually do? How do I specify what screen to use this setting on? If I disable the mouse won't it disable it for both monitors?

Thank you,

Then you are totally fine with that setup! Fullscreen window makes it look like a fullscreen(without the border and the minimize/close buttons at the top right), thus allowing you to use your mouse/keyboard on monitor 2 without losing focus. Disabling mouse(in the KODI settings!!!) will make it so your mouse never interacts with kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get remote to work specifically with kodi & the mouse on another monitor?0