Custom home items no longer working
Wow, sorry I have been away for a few days after my post but thank you everybody for looking into the issue I brought up! Awesome skin, thanks for all your hard work!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2015-10-04, 16:59)mcoto Wrote:
(2015-10-04, 05:21)jingai Wrote: Shouldn't have to do anything except go back to the Home screen and wait for the Skin Shortcuts script to rebuild the menu.

Do you ever see the progress dialog at the top that says "Building menu..."?

Something quickly flashes in the upper left corner when I return to home screen, but its gone before I can read it. Sounds like I may need to update or reinstall the script?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm dealing with a tropical storm right now so I'm in and out.

M

So I finally had some time and figured out the problem. If you make a submenu change you have to "OK" on both the submenu and the menu. I had been hitting the back button or menu button like you do with making other Kodi settings changes. If you don't hit "OK" than the changes don't take affect on the actual home page but the changes still show up under the "home furnishing" section which was confusing me. Also (again if you don't hit OK) you occasionally have no access to the home furnishings and you have to reset everything. Now that I understand what was wrong its easy to avoid.

TL; DR
1) Once you make a change on the "home furnishings" you need to hit OK until it takes you back to the skin root settings dialog for the changes to take effect
2) If you mess up a change DON'T hit menu or backspace. Instead finish creating the change and delete it using the "null" choice

Thanks
M
They actually should take effect without hitting OK (even though I'd personally rather they didn't, but that's how it's supposed to work).

For the main menu, I changed the label for the "Movies" shortcut to "Test" and hit backspace to get back to the Home window. Skin Shortcuts ran and updated the main menu.

Then in the submenu for Movies (now named Test), I changed the "Recent" shortcut's label to "Test". Hit backspace to go back, and it built the menu and reflected the change.

I am not sure why it's not working for you, but you will need to provide a debug log for me to figure it out.

And when you say you "occasionally have no access to the home furnishings and you have to reset everything," this should obviously never happen and I never have seen it.. can you provide an example of what you did to get it into that state? If possible, a screen shot of it? And most importantly, the debug log from the entire session leading up to the problem.

Also, what version of Kodi are you running?
(2015-10-07, 22:00)jingai Wrote: They actually should take effect without hitting OK (even though I'd personally rather they didn't, but that's how it's supposed to work).

For the main menu, I changed the label for the "Movies" shortcut to "Test" and hit backspace to get back to the Home window. Skin Shortcuts ran and updated the main menu.

Then in the submenu for Movies (now named Test), I changed the "Recent" shortcut's label to "Test". Hit backspace to go back, and it built the menu and reflected the change.

I am not sure why it's not working for you, but you will need to provide a debug log for me to figure it out.

And when you say you "occasionally have no access to the home furnishings and you have to reset everything," this should obviously never happen and I never have seen it.. can you provide an example of what you did to get it into that state? If possible, a screen shot of it? And most importantly, the debug log from the entire session leading up to the problem.

Also, what version of Kodi are you running?

I'm running the latest openelec 5.95.5 which is, I believe, Isengard 15.1.

I have thought a little bit more on this problem and I believe the issue was I tried to make a new shortcut using the addons and didn't read the choices correctly. Basically I was trying to add a sub-menu item in Movies called trailers tied to the HD-trailers.net addon. I got to the point where I selected the HD trailers add-on and was trying to get it to open in the top level of menus, but since I was tired (and stupid) I selected the first choice which backed me up the menu system. I, sadly, thought this was what was supposed to happen as this what you do to change several of the Kodi settings so I just hit the menu button until it took me all the while back. So in essence I had made a button with no associated addon/action and I think it confused metropolis. This happened a second time when I Tried to make a submenu choice in setting that was Addons. When I looked through the choices under addons I had to choose programs videos etc which isn't what I wanted so I backed away, but again I had made a button without an associated action. I later figured out what I needed was in the Kodi commands list. I think the reset was necessary to get rid of the button(s) without actions.

Unfortunately, I did not turn the debug log on so I don't have a log. I can try to reproduce it, but that may take some time (I'm sorry I'm not being very helpful. I'm usually willing to do what I can as I appreciate all the time, energy and Karma that goes into these projects but localized flooding in my area has reordered my priorities.) It is working great right now Smile
Thanks
M
You may have stumbled onto something, though I believe the problem -- if it's as you've stated -- is probably in the Skin Shortcuts script.

Paging @BobCratchett Smile
Without seeing the exact process you used, it sounds like you didn't select an action for your new submenu items. If you add a menu item but don't set an action for it (actually, it requires a label which gets set when you select an action, though there's an open PR which changes this behaviour) then Skin Shortcuts won't save the new menu item - there's no point saving a menu item that doesn't do anything Wink So, it sounds like the behaviour you experienced up to this point is expected.

What shouldn't be happening, and I can't think of any reason for, is that then affecting your future ability to edit the menus requiring a reset, and looking back through your posts I can't spot where you described it Blush So, if you can explain what bad behaviour (other than not seeing the new shortcuts you've added - which, as we've already said, you wouldn't have because they weren't saved) you were seeing that re-setting fixed that would be great, and I can hopefully work out what's gone wrong from there. If you can reproduce it with screenshots or in a debug log that's even better Wink (you'll need to enable Skin Shortcuts own debug logging from its options - Settings - Add-ons - System - Dependencies)).

Oh, and a couple of other questions if you don't mind ...

When talking about a 'reset', can you confirm how you reset things - are we talking about "Reset Home Furniture to Defaults."...?

Which version of the Skin Shortcuts script are you using? As you've got the ".." option when selecting a shortcut and you're on Kodi 15.1 ('Isengard'), I'm presuming the git version (0.6.0)...?

Cheers Smile
So to be more specific. Since all my changes from the old version of the skin got reset I did several things at once. I removed the menu items I didn't need ,reordered the menu and did some changes to several sub menus. As the final part of the process I made new entry for the Trailers add on as described in my previous post. Since this was the last step when I backed out (without setting an action for the sub menu). Here is the part that may have screwed it all up. Since you do the choices from the bottom up I made a label for my sub menu item "trailers" before I set (or in this case did not set) the action. At which point I returned back to the home menu for metropolis. I got a brief flicker of something in the upper left corner (where I now know the script progress bar is) and then none of my changes where made. At this point I returned to the "customize furniture" section, but all my changes where there. I tried making a few more changes but these did not work. After several changes I lost access to the home furniture area but was able to get back by "Reset Home Furniture to Defaults" in the script, but I still couldn't get the changes I made in the "home furnishings" to apply to the actual home screen. As none of my changes were working I made my original post.

At this point I uninstalled and reinstalled the whole skin. I made one change at a time, checking to make sure that the change took effect prior to making another change. The only time it didn't work was when I backed out after not setting an action for the addon. Which was the only time I didn't hit the "OK" button. I made another entry for the "trailers" add on but this time I set the appropriate action and it worked but I mistakenly attributed that to hitting the "OK" button. Hence my second post.

Again, I'll be happy to reproduce with a debug log but I just can't do that right now

Thanks
M
Thanks for the detailed info. Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce the issue, so ping me when you've had time to make a debug log and we'll go from there Smile
(2015-10-04, 07:39)jingai Wrote: [quote='Mick1152' pid='2122692' dateline='1443935534']
One issue I was having on Windows 10 with Kodi v15.2 RC2 is with the backgrounds. I added a couple menu items and then went to set the background for those items but my C: drive was not an option for a location to find the images like it previously was (I know it was because that is where the backgrounds for my previous menu options were located). Strangely the only locations available were SuperRepo and my SD memory card that was in the computer at the time. I tried with and without the card inserted and couldn't get to the C: drive so I just copied things to the SD card instead. Nothing major but thought I'd mention it in case it is something with the skin that can be addressed.
Quote:I don't have any Windows machines in the house here, but on my Mac and Linux boxes, if I choose "Single Image" or "Multi Image" it allows me to select any path I like. Is that not the case on Windows?

Ah ha! I knew this had to be in here somewhere. I'm having the same issue with my Linux version. C: is not an option. The only things that are available are two folders named XBMC and Jazz. I don't recall making either folder... nor can I find them anywhere. There is a browse button but it's "grayed" out. And not being a programmer as such I'd like options to have the rotating (multiple) images I had before.

Incidentally, this is the best looking skin on Kodi - hands down. Period. Great job. This is my only issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom home items no longer working0