Cannot Start Kodi On Ubuntu 15.04
Hi,

I have installed the latess version of Kodi on Ubuntu with Mate Desktop running on my VPS but when I enter the command kodi in the terminal, I got this:

ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
*** Error in `/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00000000035673f8 ***
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /root/kodi_crashlog-20151004_101018.log

Why this happen? It work before with Unity.

Thanks,

Guillaume
I suspect "debug log" will be the cry, but I'd look to your graphics drivers - I have to particularly raise an eyebrow at how graphics might work on a virtual server (although point taken about "it worked with Unity", so it's not inherently a VPS problem).

A proper debug log (use advancedsettings.xml to force it since Kodi won't start) would at least say more.
Quote:Crash report available at /root/kodi_crashlog-20151004_101018.log

Why do you run kodi as root user from a desktop session? This must be wrong ... post the file it tells: /root/kodi_crashlog-20151004_101018.log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hey just for my information, will a standard physical dedicaded server can run Kodi without any issues? I know VPS are virtual so there was no physical graphic card so this mean it cannot work. But for a dedicaded server, it is the same thing than an local physical desktop PC?
if you have a supported GFX card incl drivers.
Did you know if I can run Kodi on a virtual machine who ran on VMware? It is the same thing than a VPS?
vmware and virtualbox work, but badly and require various degrees of tinkering.
I'd stay away from it if you want to use kodi for anything but some testing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot Start Kodi On Ubuntu 15.040