Linux VC-1 Interlaced Content: Hardware Options?
I've been running XBMC/Kodi via Openelec on a DCCP847DYE NUC (dual-core 1.1 Ghz Celeron) for about 2 years now after using a Pi before that, and have been generally very happy with the setup. I run Openelec from a USB stick, and all of my media is stored on a HP Microserver and accessed via NFS over wired ethernet. For audio, I do passthrough into my receiver. I run MySQL on the NAS as well to centralize my library.

My only real issue is VC-1 interlaced bluray rips. As others have documented, Intel's VAAPI drivers do not support hardware decoding of interlaced VC-1 content. I have a fair number of these: concerts, older movies, etc. - and I just can't find a workable Kodi solution to play these back without stuttering, lost frames, audio sync issues/drift, etc. I've tried various software decode and interlace settings for VC-1s, different rendering choices, etc., but nothing seems to result in reliable playback.

Most recently, I picked up a new Braswell NUC5PPYH N3700-based Nuc, hoping that the additional clock speed and 4 cores might allow for VC-1s to be software decoded without issue. I just did a quick Openelec build on this new hardware, and while I did see a good amount of improvement, I'm still seeing jumpiness and dropped frames in the settings I've tried so far.

Has anyone come up with a good solution to this VC-1 challenge? I realize that it's unlikely to see any further help from Intel on this. I'd rather not re-encode my full disc rips, although I realize that's one possible solution. Questions:

- Are there settings I should use for software decoding of VC-1s on hardware like the N3700 that maximize my chances at success?
- If not, would throwing more processing power at the problem (an I3/I5/I7 NUC) solve it?
- Has anyone solved the issue with non-Intel hardware? Maybe AMD via a Gigabyte Brix?

My goals:
- I want to continue to use Kodi, preferable on Openelec/Unix
- I want to continue to use a small form factor hardware solution
- I want to preserve passthru HD audio support
- I'd like to preserve the content in it's original form vs recoding

Any help would be much appreciated. I've searched the forum for answers, without success.
On the Intel platform you'll need to use software decoding of the VC-1 - but I'm not sure if you can then hardware deinterlace or whether you'll also need to software deinterlace.

An i5 NUC will definitely do it I'm pretty sure (I've got my i5 NUC replaying 4:2:2 H264 1080/50i interlaced stuff at 40Mbs with YADIF 2x deinterlacing) - but I don't know about an i3 or below.

I keep meaning to try an interlaced VC-1 file on a Raspberry Pi 2.
Last I tried a 1080i/29.970 VC-1 file on my RPi2 (Eagles' Melbourne concert BD rip), it didn't play well. Been several months though; haven't tried latest builds. Chromebox w/OpenELEC played it fine.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-10-06, 01:18)hdmkv Wrote: Last I tried a 1080i/29.970 VC-1 file on my RPi2 (Eagles' Melbourne concert BD rip), it didn't play well. Been several months though; haven't tried latest builds. Chromebox w/OpenELEC played it fine.

That suggests the Celeron 2955U is up to software decoding then - as interlaced VC-1 VAAPI decoding is a no-no on Intel GPUs under Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VC-1 Interlaced Content: Hardware Options?0