Movies menu item doesn't show for all users of same PC
Hello all,

New user here. Loving Kodi so far. Only took me about 20 minutes to get it up and running for me. Version 15.2 is loaded on a Windows7-based HTPC. My media is stored on a Windows share on my NAS (a networked Windows-based PC) It works fine for me under my login (admin on both boxes) with no issues at all.

The problem I'm trying to fix is this: I cannot see the "MOVIES" menu item when logged in as another user on that same HTPC (my wife's user account is a User not Adm on all boxes). All the other items (Pictures, Music, Video, etc) are there but not MOVIES.

The share with the movies on it is shared with Everyone. I have tried manually adding the network location as a Source and that sort of works. I map to the share and can double-click on any movie file and it will play. But I want the full functionality you get with the MOVIES menu item, where you see the fancy thumbnails and can sort by name/year/etc.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Profiles
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
The problem - almost certainly - is that your library / kodi data is stored in user / %appdata%. Change to another windows user account and kodi will look in user/%appdata% - but it's a different user so it makes a new folder.
Easiest solution is to make a portable install. It's all in the wiki, but basically...
Go to program files/kodi and copy those files to somewhere with write access (I use a folder on a second drive, but you could use c/kodi).
Go to username / %appdata / kodi. Rename the kodi folder to portable_data and copy it to c/kodi (or wherever).
Make a shortcut to c/kodi/kodi.exe, right click on it and in properties add '-p' to the target.
Copy that shortcut to wherever you want and use it to open kodi.
Your whole install is now in 1 folder that's accessible to any user. Check it works and delete the files in program files and %appdata% (and any old shortcuts).
http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode
Crap, good call troggy I misread the op.
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
Thumbs Up 
Thanks again, trogggy! I appreciate the detailed how-to.

(2015-10-08, 01:03)trogggy Wrote: The problem - almost certainly - is that your library / kodi data is stored in user / %appdata%. Change to another windows user account and kodi will look in user/%appdata% - but it's a different user so it makes a new folder.
Easiest solution is to make a portable install. It's all in the wiki, but basically...
Go to program files/kodi and copy those files to somewhere with write access (I use a folder on a second drive, but you could use c/kodi).
Go to username / %appdata / kodi. Rename the kodi folder to portable_data and copy it to c/kodi (or wherever).
Make a shortcut to c/kodi/kodi.exe, right click on it and in properties add '-p' to the target.
Copy that shortcut to wherever you want and use it to open kodi.
Your whole install is now in 1 folder that's accessible to any user. Check it works and delete the files in program files and %appdata% (and any old shortcuts).
http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode
No worries. Just noticed though - there should be a space between the '-p' and the target in the shortcut.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies menu item doesn't show for all users of same PC0