Incorrectly identified audio channels
Hi - When performing a video-library update I noted Kodi does not identify 7.1 audio channels correctly, in particular with the DTS-HD MA codec, always returns 5.1 audio channels with 7.1 video material? The NFO file created by Kodi during the backup-library process also incorrectly writes the Audio channels as '6' instead of '8'?

EDIT: Hope this is enough 'meta-data' related to be posted in this sub-forum? Wasn't sure where to go Smile
Moved to general help, since it's data that is read directly from the file ;)
I've noticed this. Could be file related, if the tagging isn't right. I've found it saying 5.1 for 7.1 files, and 7.1 for 5.1 files... and often the info you get when you're actually playing differs from what you get on the file overview. The receiver figures it out, though.
Thanks for your reply Sunflux. Yes Kodi will play the material with the correct channel output and reports the correct number of sound channels ONLY whilst playing the video. Stop playing and the sound channel infobar in any view is back to the wrong number of sound channels again (shows 5.1 instead of 7.1). I don't belive it is 'file related' (I assume you mean 'video file' related?) as it will always play the video file with the correct number of output sound channels ... so it reads the CODEC info correctly when playing the video file, but not when 'updating the video library'.
Grab a copy of MediaInfo and use that to look inside your file. See what has *actually* been encoded instead of what filename says.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
Thanks BatterPudding ... yes I have used MediaInfo and other packages to tweak nfo files and for artwork management ... but I still believe that Kodi should be able to do it on its own ... it gets the right info when it reads the file and plays the video ... so should be able to check the content of the nfo file, if one exists, and correct if required ... after all these nfo files are created by Kodi in the first place (when doing a the backup).
LeKodeur - did you actually look at the MediaInfo link? You are describing something else. This is nothing to do with artwork or NFO files. I am talking about the digital file you have that you are trying to play.

The only task MediaInfo does is let you look at an audio or digital file and open up the digital file and find out what is really inside.

At least click the link and look at the page. It should better explain what I am trying to show you and why it really will answer the question.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
http://mediaarea.net/fr/MediaInfo
Smile yes I know about MediaInfo, I have been using it for years to check video/audio files, it's been around for a long time Smile

So yes I know I can get the correct audio details from MediaInfo (and other similar tools, including offline artwork managers like MyMovies, TinyMediaManager, MediaElch etc as I mentioned earlier), but that is not the answer I'm looking for Smile. As per my original post, the issue is with Kodi not picking-up the correct audio details from new video material (video/movies/shows etc.) added to the video library when performing a video-library update (from Kodi). My comment about the nfo files is that Kodi also writes incorrect audio details in its Kodi created nfo files when performing video library backups (from Kodi: Settings > Video > Library > Export Library, ref. Section 1.3 of http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files). Because the nfo files are loaded into the video library you need to manually edit the nfo file and 'reload' the movie (from the Info screen) to update the library with the correctly edited audio details ... a long process that could be avoided if the video-library update process picked-up the correct details in the first place Wink

But thanks for your response BatterPudding, appreciated Smile
What are the file names like? Could they be interfering at all? I noticed that KODI likes to pick up on HDTV, VHS and the text like that in file names. Do all your examples have clean names? None of the 7.1 films mislabelled with and 5.1 text in the file name?

Have you looked into the actual SQL database? Are the films just plain wrongly identified at the start? I;ll have to see if I can find a 7.1 film to check (only have 5.1 speakers so don't have many 7.1 films)
I can't find a 7.1 film in my collection. I could have sworn there are one or two, but no idea which ones. I only have normal 5.1 surround speakers so normally aim for that.

When looking into the database I found the Streamdetails table is the only one that seems to list Audio Channels. And that maxes out at 6 for my library. So it certainly looks like KODI is not saving the correct details to the database itself. I know there is something in there that is 7.1 as I have seen the logo on screen before, along with [DTS-MA].
(2015-10-07, 05:07)LeKodeur Wrote: Hi - When performing a video-library update I noted Kodi does not identify 7.1 audio channels correctly, in particular with the DTS-HD MA codec, always returns 5.1 audio channels with 7.1 video material? The NFO file created by Kodi during the backup-library process also incorrectly writes the Audio channels as '6' instead of '8'?

EDIT: Hope this is enough 'meta-data' related to be posted in this sub-forum? Wasn't sure where to go Smile

If you are using Version 15 Isengard then this is expected.

We can only extract media information for codecs that ffmpeg can decode, it's only recently become the case the ffmpeg can decode DTS-HD MA, so as of Version 16 Jarvis Alpha 3 this should now be ok.
(2015-10-13, 11:48)BatterPudding Wrote: I can't find a 7.1 film in my collection. I could have sworn there are one or two, but no idea which ones. I only have normal 5.1 surround speakers so normally aim for that.

When looking into the database I found the Streamdetails table is the only one that seems to list Audio Channels. And that maxes out at 6 for my library. So it certainly looks like KODI is not saving the correct details to the database itself. I know there is something in there that is 7.1 as I have seen the logo on screen before, along with [DTS-MA].

Yes, that is how I noticed Kodi was incorrectly tagging the audio channels in the library, all of my many 7.1 movies (8 channels) were listed as 5.1 (6 channels).

But jjd-uk has provided the ansswer Smile ... will be fixed in Kodi 16. Great news! Smile ... thanks team Kodi!

Cheers! Smile
(2015-10-13, 14:09)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2015-10-07, 05:07)LeKodeur Wrote: Hi - When performing a video-library update I noted Kodi does not identify 7.1 audio channels correctly, in particular with the DTS-HD MA codec, always returns 5.1 audio channels with 7.1 video material? The NFO file created by Kodi during the backup-library process also incorrectly writes the Audio channels as '6' instead of '8'?

If you are using Version 15 Isengard then this is expected.

We can only extract media information for codecs that ffmpeg can decode, it's only recently become the case the ffmpeg can decode DTS-HD MA, so as of Version 16 Jarvis Alpha 3 this should now be ok.

Thanks jjd-uk ... looking forward to using Kodi 16 Smile Thanks for your support!
Note that it's only DTS-HD that we previously had problems with, so all other codecs such as TrueHD and AAC should report 7.1 so if there is an issue with anything other than DTS-HD then this indeed maybe a bug.
Good point ... I have no TrueHD or AAC 7.1 material (seems most of the 7.1 stuff I can get my hands on is DTS-HD MA) ... will try to seek some and test.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Incorrectly identified audio channels0