Intel Compute Stick (Windows) and Kodi
Hi

I have a Intel Compute Stick to test (its the Windows 8.1 Home, 32Gb Hard drive and 2Gb RAM, leaves just over 1Gb free while Kodi is running).

I installed the latest Kodi just now, with a Sony TV and POE adapter (5v 2amp as the stick needs) its been running flawlessly for 4 hours playing constant, i dont hear ANY fan noises from the stick. I notice though there's no screen rate in the system of Kodi and no CPU temp either. I found the WiFi a little choppy (buffering every 30 seconds) when the datastream was high with a 1080p, however if you read more below i will be using a network cable with POE to power this hardware anyway. Restoring my settings with the backup addon in KODI also worked (never work with openELEC and the PI below, always did half a job).

I was using Raspberry Pi (B) however this thing eat Memory SD cards for breakfast (before i get a wave of "you didnt do it right" i have MANY messages on the PI forum about this, RMA about 20 SD cards to Kingston to be told "yes, the PI eats those" from kingston. Apparently after others doing research it appears to maybe be a temperature thing (which i questioned when the first 512Mb PI came out, was told in writing never needs a heatsink from the PI creator (on there own forum). I have a huge HP POE switch ($2000) and a large APC UPS as well so it wasnt power, i tested all of this)

Anyway, i also looked at the WETEK, however for over $100 seems to be someone (Google?) is making ALOT of money on that device and its still Linux (or openELEC) so locked in to just openELEC and nothing else.

The only drawback i can see at the moment with the Intel Compute Stick is there's no remote desktop built in natively also no tuner (which doesnt worry me personally) and i have to buy a bluetooth remote.

It does however have a USB port so will be investigating adding a Hauppauge recorder on to that for NPVR client, that would be a bonus for mer personally though. As it is windows this means i can run other items like CCTV software, and back it up way more successfully.

I will be making designing (and may release for others to print) the below (as i will use quiet a few of these)
- Compute Stick (and be able to access the ports)
- POE splitter (for power)
- All in one USB HUB (3 ports) amd Network port
- Pulse Eight HDMI CEC adapter thing (once i test it).
Many Thanks
Ashley

© Copyright 2016 - www.ashleygriffin.ca
Teamviewer for remote desktop is one of the most common apps out there if not the most used. I don't think google has anything to do with Wetek so Google is not making anyu money of those sold products. Don't know f the USB port can be used for data. There is a Compute thread already if you want to look up info and maybe ask some questions.
(2015-10-07, 08:48)Topken Wrote: Teamviewer for remote desktop is one of the most common apps out there if not the most used. I don't think google has anything to do with Wetek so Google is not making anyu money of those sold products. Don't know f the USB port can be used for data. There is a Compute thread already if you want to look up info and maybe ask some questions.

The USB port is a standard port, i am an Intel partner (kinda how i got my hands on it).

I normally use VNC, however Microsoft are changing there OS so fast i dont keep up with there changes, no RDP in the Home system doesnt surprise me but then nothing does now.
Many Thanks
Ashley

© Copyright 2016 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Compute Stick (Windows) and Kodi0