Req Wanted: Addon that will make noise when screen dimmed for x minutes
If any of you addon creators would like to make a truly useful addon for us older folks, here's a suggestion: Make one that will detect when the screen has been dimmed for a fixed number of minutes (configurable) and after that time play an audio file or a series of beeps (like a microwave oven does), and continue to do it at recurring intervals (also configurable). The idea is that it will (hopefully) wake you up long enough to shut down Kodi and turn off the TV. It's just frustrating to realize that the TV has been showing a dimmed menu screen for three hours because you fell asleep while watching something.

An alternative would be to kill the video output entirely so the video display would go to sleep, but that might be harder to implement due to differences in hardware, and besides I'd really prefer to shut everything down. It's not so much Kodi running that bothers me as the fact that the TV is still on and displaying the same dimmed image.
(2015-10-07, 13:09)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: If any of you addon creators would like to make a truly useful addon for us older folks, here's a suggestion: Make one that will detect when the screen has been dimmed for a fixed number of minutes (configurable) and after that time play an audio file or a series of beeps (like a microwave oven does), and continue to do it at recurring intervals (also configurable). The idea is that it will (hopefully) wake you up long enough to shut down Kodi and turn off the TV. It's just frustrating to realize that the TV has been showing a dimmed menu screen for three hours because you fell asleep while watching something.

An alternative would be to kill the video output entirely so the video display would go to sleep, but that might be harder to implement due to differences in hardware, and besides I'd really prefer to shut everything down. It's not so much Kodi running that bothers me as the fact that the TV is still on and displaying the same dimmed image.
You could do something yourself with this. Configure an audio file to play after x minutes idle, for instance.
Well I was hoping for an addon that was a little easier to use than that. For one thing I can't find that addon in the Kodi addons repository, and for another it looks like support for it ended with Frodo, and I'm running Isengard. But thanks for the information.
There's a thread with an active and very helpful developer. The add-on is on github. It works perfectly on Isengard.
To be honest it sounds like you haven't actually read the thread. Good luck with your search.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wanted: Addon that will make noise when screen dimmed for x minutes0