Hardware - sanity check please
Smile 
Hi all ... after almost 3 years with an AMD based HTPC (A10-5700 / ASRock FM75 .... good overall - but gets too hot) ... decided to jump on the skylake bandwagon.

I'm keeping case, picopsu and SSD ... so 'only' need cpu, mobo, ram.

Just a sanity check to confirm that what i'm getting will satisfy the MAIN requirements.

Core i3 6100t (35w)
GIGABYTE GA-H170N-WIFI
whatever 4/8gb ddr4 ram

My 100% needs are refresh rate sync (23.976, 24, 50, 60) and HD audio bitstreaming .... the rest is icing.

I'm assuming this will do all that right!

Also - OS .. i'm currently on win 8.1 and am happy to stick to that or win10 ... BUT - wouldn't mind the simplicity of openelec (played with that in the past too) ... as long as it can at least to refresh rate sync (had a hard time in the past with this) ... what do you ppl say ... what do i win/loose with openelec?

Cheers all!
If the purpose of this box is only Kodi, openelec is great. If you run programs in the background, you may want a different OS.

Before building your own box, I suggest researching the commonly used devices around here, such as the Chromebox, Beebox, and Pi2. Not many users build HTPCs anymore. You can start here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
I'm somewhat in the same boat as you, upgrading my current A6-3500 HTPC to something newer so I don't have answers but I'll share my findings.My main goal in the upgrade is to shrink the footprint of my box. I have an micro-ATX HTPC case which looks great but takes up quite a bit of room and is hard to get in and out of my media center when I need to do something with it.

My first thought was to upgrade to an i5 NUC and upgrade my Win 7 license to Windows 10. My pick was the MSI Cubi which was down to $309 when Amazon had it in stock. I haven't been able to find much firm data but Skylake NUCs should be on the horizon I think if you'd be inclined to wait for one.

If you do go Windows, I say for sure upgrade your 8.1 to 10 while it's free, it's so much better, and get 8GB ram as the cost is minimal over 4.

However, the more I read on here, I began to sway towards OpenELEC since mine is a dedicated box for Kodi. From what I can tell, you don't lose much going that route other than the obvious of being able to run Windows programs. Going this route, I was looking at a BeeBox N3150 which is popular here. That was going to save me a couple hundred dollars over the NUC, so it seemed like a good idea.

However, now I'm looking more at the nVidia Shield since it is price comparable to the Beebox, and has the added bonus of a being a gaming console that my kid will love (and maybe Dad too Wink)
(2015-10-07, 18:53)katsup Wrote: If the purpose of this box is only Kodi, openelec is great. If you run programs in the background, you may want a different OS.

Before building your own box, I suggest researching the commonly used devices around here, such as the Chromebox, Beebox, and Pi2. Not many users build HTPCs anymore. You can start here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
I agree with this ^

I have an HTPC as well and when it comes time to upgrade I will just be buying a device, either Android or Openelec, and using my HTPC as a NAS. Devices are so cheap now that money is wasted building an HTPC. My opinion.
Thank you for your replies ... @katsup I had already read up on that tread (which might need a bit on an update tbh) ...

Thing is I'm fond of my HTPC case (Wesena ITX5) ... so if i'm coming down the chromebox route (for which i would get the i3 version anyway) I might as well build my own i3 box since I have case i like with built in IR, ssd, psu - so chromebox or own built should get me in the same place ... plus knowing me i would wait for a skylate chomebox anyway.

So ... either own built ... or Nvidia Shield TV ... which is now even more interesting since they seemingly sorted out refresh rate.

Main use of this box would be KODI ... an MPD server (but i can manage to get that running on openelec/linux anyway) ... gaming - well not really (xbox one right next to it) ... so Openelec is definately an option ONLY if i can get refresh rate sync thou'.
BIG HINT, no Skylake boxes will Hardware decode 4K HEVC in Linux/OpenELEC at up to 30Hz, you are wasting you money.
Much better and cheaper to get a Braswell NUC like the Beebox N3150 or an ASRock ITX Braswell Motherboard. They are more than capable.

Or if you need 4 core CPU grunt get a Intel Braswell NUC like the N3700
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229096

I'm migrating my NUC setup to a shield and getting pretty good results.
(2015-10-07, 21:29)ewitte Wrote: I'm migrating my NUC setup to a shield and getting pretty good results.

Can you elaborate your NVIDIA shield experience in terms of videos with 1080P and 4K resolution, refersh rate on different frequencies.
Debating to get one.
I haven't had it long enough to try everything but I got it setup and fired up both media off plex and livetv with the NEXTPVR client, customized my remote buttons, uploaded channel icons, etc.

Navigation speed is insane.
(2015-10-07, 20:44)wrxtasy Wrote: BIG HINT, no Skylake boxes will Hardware decode 4K HEVC in Linux/OpenELEC at up to 30Hz, you are wasting you money.
Much better and cheaper to get a Braswell NUC like the Beebox N3150 or an ASRock ITX Braswell Motherboard. They are more than capable.

Or if you need 4 core CPU grunt get a Intel Braswell NUC like the N3700
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229096

Just to clarify ... what you're saying is get Braswell not cos' it's actually 'better' than Skylake - but cos' of better support, at the moment, on linux/openelec ... right?

I mean - from what i read skylake specs are better than broadwell.

Thank you for the heads-up thou' it's good to know ... as i said i'm open wrt OS ... perfectly happy sticking to windows if it get better support (it normally does).

EDIT - hmn - i have to say thou' that the Asrock N3700-ITX does look attractive! Damn ... now i'm wondering when the next update for this will be released ... why did you have to do this to me!
My mistake, I should have said Braswell HEVC decoding is a hell of a lot better than Hybrid Broadwell. I don't think Skylake is even out yet.

Also with Braswell, HD Audio Passthrough will not work on Windows as there are no drivers for it. Linux/OpenELEC no problems:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2066058

I'm now almost sold on a braswell ... a silent low power box.

Would you know if braswell/openelec combination work well with refresh rate sync? I want my 24 hz content to play w/o pulldown.
Auto refresh rates are all working out of the box for all Intels.

The forum seem to be a little infatuated with hevc 4K atm, even though noone is really using it..except for watching big buck bunny over and over..(or that other movie). Please take into consideration that current hevc support in hardware is limited to 8bit.
If you're aiming for a future proof 4K solution, then you can safely go with your original plan with skylake ..and then upgrade the cpu in 2016 to kaby lake to get full hardware 10bit hevc. You can sell your old cpu, so it won't cost you that much in difference. If you're buying a braswell box, you'd have to buy a new box. Of course, you can sell your old Braswell box too..

My point is: Don't go with braswell because it supports hevc 4k. The current implementation is already obsolete. Besides, it's much more fun to play around with the Core family.

By the time Kaby Lake arrives, Kodi stable should fully support hevc too.
Yes, the never ending upgrade cycle, and trying to stay ahead of the future codecs dilemma ....

Thats why a bunch of up have said stuff it, 1080p 8bit HEVC material is good enough for the time being until Kaby Lake gets here and 4K material arrives and HDMI 2.0 sorts itself out and is mass marketed.
Especially when 1080p HEVC decoding can be had on a $37 AMlogic device running OpenELEC. Wink

TBH I don't have a 4k TV ... (and i'm really happy with my current 65" panasonic plasma) ... I guess by the time 4k is relevant (for me at least) the cost of a 4k capable player won't be a concern when factored into the price of the TV ... not to mention possibility of decent android tv based models .. i.e. kodi running natively on the telly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware - sanity check please0