Local SMB update not working with VPN
When the Android VPN app is running local network updates for movies and tv shows does not work. Normally, in the Kodi top of the screen header, there will be a scanning update bar that immediately shows which files are being updated. With the VPN activated, the scanning update gets stuck on "Preparing" and never completes. I have to unplug the Android TV box to restart Kodi.

• This happens with Nexus Player
  • This happens with MKIII Android TV box

• My local files are served from a dedicated PC running Windows 7
  • From Kodi, I use SMB shares

Is there a setting within Kodi that will allow me to see my SMB shares while the VPN is running?
(2015-10-08, 16:15)rob_fed Wrote: When the Android VPN app is running local network updates for movies and tv shows does not work. Normally, in the Kodi top of the screen header, there will be a scanning update bar that immediately shows which files are being updated. With the VPN activated, the scanning update gets stuck on "Preparing" and never completes. I have to unplug the Android TV box to restart Kodi.

• This happens with Nexus Player
  • This happens with MKIII Android TV box

• My local files are served from a dedicated PC running Windows 7
  • From Kodi, I use SMB shares

Is there a setting within Kodi that will allow me to see my SMB shares while the VPN is running?

this is how the vpn works, you may find a setting in your vpn which allows access to your local LAN.

this is certainly possible using the openvpn for android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...nvpn&hl=en
Thanks pusb87, I was able to use OpenVPN and config files from my VPN provider. OpenVPN default settings allow for LAN bypass of the VPN. Or split tunneling. Kodi is able to update LAN SMB shares with the VPN running now.
(2015-10-09, 15:08)rob_fed Wrote: Thanks pusb87, I was able to use OpenVPN and config files from my VPN provider. OpenVPN default settings allow for LAN bypass of the VPN. Or split tunneling. Kodi is able to update LAN SMB shares with the VPN running now.

I'm pleased to see you've got your VPN working as you wanted now Smile
Hi rob_fed

May I ask how you managed to perform this? That is, what you input when you created your 'profile' on the android OpenVPN app?
I have received my PPTP username/password, server addresses and .ovpn files from my VPN provider.
Sorry for being a total newb on this, but are the .ovpn files CA Certificates, Client certificates or Client Certificate Keys?
What did you select under Basic > Type when creating the profile?

Thanks for any help or assistance you can provide on this.

EDIT: Never mind. Using some google-fu and trial and error, I managed to get it to work. Didn't realize that the .ovpn file contained all 3 certificates and keys required.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Local SMB update not working with VPN0