Kodi DSPLAYER not working with NFS
Hi all,

I am new to Kodi and after been struggling for almost a week, trying to find out why I was not able to play any video at all with Kodi DSPLAYER, I found out that when choosing DVDPLAYER instead of DSPLAYER it did work.

When using SMB both work, but I really would love to use NFS instead of SMB.

I am using DSPlayer 15.2 RC3 Isengard DX11 - build (20151004-d0191b0) (pdb) but had same issue in previous version from 20 September 2015 (5eef595)

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix?

Best regards,

Ronald
I have the same problem. NFS share doesn't work with DSplayer. SMB works fine. Any fix yet?
Might get a better response in the dedicated DSPlayer thread.

DSPlayer is not officially supported by Kodi devs and if there is a bug, it is unlikley to be resolved, as the dev responsible has decided to leave and is no longer supporting the project.
I suggest keep everything DSPlayer related in DSPlayer thread.

No it won't be fixed since it's down to directshow source filter doesn't support nfs (In this case usually LAV Source).

I believe if you mount NFS to Windows Drive Letter it would works But again NFS Client is now available only in Enterprise version of Windows starting from Windows 8. So unless you run windows 7 or Windows 8/10 enterprise you'd need 3rd party NFS Client for windows to do the task. Good luck with that since it's out of my scope.

So in short, I advised you forget about it, use smb. It's adequate for media streaming.
Agree 99% of smb/nfs and such like issues can be resolved by mapping the source via windows but as said DSPlayer is 99% dead so have a play with it but dont expect it to be the saviour of the media player universe unless a genius windows programmer decided he has alot of time on his hands to put into it.
The NFS issue is not just applicable to DSPlayer. Since I 'upgraded' to Windows 10, Kodi was working fine for a while, including NFS access to all my QNAP remote shares. Then a Windows Update came through and Kodi can no longer access my NFS network shares. A diagnostics test revealed it was something to do with updating networking protocols which broke the NFS protocol handling, reporting a 'missing network protocol' (Google it and you'll appreciate it has been an issue for many for quite some time but no 'fix' has been coming from Microsoft). I had to remap my shares as SMB shares which I really didn't want to do but at least I got access to my shares again ... I'll be ditching Windows for Ubuntu very soon on that system as the virus updates and windows updates are driving me nuts! I have 2 other Kodi installs running under Ubuntu and things could not be better, faster, more stable and no viruses ... rock solid, reliable, trouble-free Kodi entertainment system! Smile
What I meant is DSPlayer rely on directshow filters, in most case lav source filter. So LAV source filter happens to not support open nfs protocol, the DSPlayer playback failed.

If LAVfilter dev decided to support nfs protocol DSPlayer would probably play from nfs share without to do anything except update LAVFilers. So I'd also advise anyone who want NFS support go to request in LAVfilters thread in Doom9. But I doubt it would be high on LAVfilter dev priorities list.

Or you can find or write directshow source filter that can open nfs address and pass on to other dirctshow splitter (LAV Spiltter in most case). And it probably solve the issue.

Other workaround as I said is to deal nfs protocol on OS Level. Get NFS client and mount NFS shares. DSPlayer or any other windows app shouldn't have problem access NFS shares via this method.

I use Kodi on multiple devices / OSes (Windows,Linux, Android, ios). Linux is good choice and gives overall best experience whether you go with openelec or full distro like Ubuntu. DSPlayer is probably the main reason (aside from Windows 10 netflix app) I install Windows on my HTPC. The picture quality is better. Also Linux update can sometimes give you headache too. Also if goes Linux way AMD gave me one of the worst experience since Kodi doesn't support AMD linux drivers anymore, you have to use Radeon OSS drivers instead. But when you want to use other app all screams asking for AMD Drivers. In the end I gave up on using AMD system with Linux. Not sure if this changes now.
Tongue 
Hi @oldpoem - Off topic Smile I don't have a AMD system currently running Linux but have you tried http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854

Have never had any issues with Ubuntu updates, they are normally quite 'transparent' and I have been doing them for the last 6 years regularly. Only 'Upgrades' to new versions of Ubuntu can be troublesome due to dropping support for 'older packages' you might still be using ... but you can have significant issues also with Windows when upgrading to a new version Wink! If you have installed Radeon OSS drivers it is surprising 'other app all scream for AMD drivers' ... perhaps you did not uninstall the generic AMD drivers properly? Apps would generally use the loaded gfx drivers, but if you have a loaded definition for a driver you tried to remove but unsuccessfully then the apps will still try to use the driver even though the driver bin itself may no longer be there ... I've had this problem before Wink ... best use Synaptic when removing drivers as it will show you the dependencies and you can easily check if something has been left etc.

Apologies for being off-topic with this.
I meant apart from Kodi. Many other 3D app has issues with OSS drivers and devs usually asked users to install AMD binary drivers. I'm firmly with NVidia on Linux. I've used many distros of linux in the past 1x years Debian, Redhat, SUSE , Gentoo, Ubuntu based etc. So I've encountered numerous times regular updates cause breakage or even total system failure. It's better lately though.

I've one system in my house that currently run Lubuntu with Kodi as WM. Pretty good use for old low powered pc.
(2016-02-17, 00:58)LeKodeur Wrote: The NFS issue is not just applicable to DSPlayer. Since I 'upgraded' to Windows 10, Kodi was working fine for a while, including NFS access to all my QNAP remote shares. Then a Windows Update came through and Kodi can no longer access my NFS network shares. A diagnostics test revealed it was something to do with updating networking protocols which broke the NFS protocol handling, reporting a 'missing network protocol' (Google it and you'll appreciate it has been an issue for many for quite some time but no 'fix' has been coming from Microsoft). I had to remap my shares as SMB shares which I really didn't want to do but at least I got access to my shares again ... I'll be ditching Windows for Ubuntu very soon on that system as the virus updates and windows updates are driving me nuts! I have 2 other Kodi installs running under Ubuntu and things could not be better, faster, more stable and no viruses ... rock solid, reliable, trouble-free Kodi entertainment system! Smile

Agreed, my experience w/ Win10 on my HTPC box has proven to be frustrating, due to not being able to approve updates, having stuff formerly working, now not working from "improvements" I can't even adjust my Win10 desktop to properly fit my 55" LCD. After one update, it was suddenly set perfectly (in Kodi I can config it in settings for playback), but then a week later after yet another update, it was broken again. That & various network issues after more updates...I'm planning on a clean wipe/install back to Win7. It.just.works.Nod
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
I also has problem with SMB after latest win10 update (Kodi on ios & android can't access windows share). Really tempted to revert to Win7 or install Linux on that machine. Fortunately I resolved my problem with temporary solution. Read that microsoft would fix it in next march update. So I can wait and see if it delivered.
I recently had a longish chat relating to getting smb/nfs working via kodi or mapping via windows it just depends your level of competence as to how you approach it, the easy way is obvious Smile
(2016-02-18, 21:31)Derek Wrote: I recently had a longish chat relating to getting smb/nfs working via kodi or mapping via windows it just depends your level of competence as to how you approach it, the easy way is obvious Smile
Thanks for this helpful post! Big GrinBig GrinTongue
Hehe sorry just a statement, i just meant the easy way out is to map your shares via the operating system hence disregarding the problems with the client in this case Kodi. if thats of use it will work Smile
(2016-02-18, 22:08)Derek Wrote: Hehe sorry just a statement, i just meant the easy way out is to map your shares via the operating system hence disregarding the problems with the client in this case Kodi. if thats of use it will work Smile

tru dat. Just disappointed that MS really bonked it up in Win 10.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPLAYER not working with NFS0