AFTV vs Asus Google Nexus Player
If mainly for Kodi, what would you pick ?
Nexus Player, but if you're into Amazon's Instant/Prime streaming as well, FTV.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
None of them.

For Kodi use only to get proper 24p video sync and HD Audio decoded or passed through you would get a RPi2 or Chromebox. 1080p HEVC then a C1+

Otherwise the NVIDIA Shield will run rings around both the Nexus and the FireTV2 if using Android.

Agree, but between the two OP asked about, Nexus is the better pick IMHO.
My HT
Agreed, but it depends on if the OP wants a stand-alone player or wants/needs Android.

For Android you're not going to find really anything better than the Shield. It almost (and I'm saying almost) makes it hard to recommend anything else, even over stand-alone devices.

If you're on a budget and need/want Android, then the Nexus Player. If you live in the US then you can pick one up for $50 at Best Buy and for the price you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

I'd only recommend the AFTV if your are absolutely bound to the Amazon ecosystem. But even then just pick up a Nexus Player and a AFTV Stick and for under $100 you'd have both Google and Amazon.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-10-09, 15:17)Tinwarble Wrote: For Android you're not going to find really anything better than the Shield.
No argument there Smile.
My HT
Thanks for the input. You guys ever have experience with those cheap MXQ or Mii box for around $35 ? I just want some budget standalone Kodi player with easy/robust controlling. The MXQ has the IR remote control, which I dont really like though.

Right now, my household mostly watch 480p and 720p online contents. So, we dont really need 4k, 24p, etc. ; or we can just play it on Windows PC.
Yep, and I wouldn't go near them.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@ lulu43v3r > I would only trust a RPi2 or a ODROID C1+ in the $30-$40 price range, possibly a MK808B Plus.

Why ?

Well because an the budget end of the market you want a device with decent Firmware otherwise it really is pot luck, a lot of the MXQ clones are junk and the Hardware can be unreliable.

If you can operate a PC, you can flash an Image on to a SD card and you are good to go with the two devices mentioned. See my signature below for a RPi2 / C1+ comparison.

@wrxtasy : then can you suggest a good RF/bluetooth remote control for C1+ or RPi2 . Thanks
(2015-10-10, 10:09)luvu43v3r Wrote: @wrxtasy : then can you suggest a good RF/bluetooth remote control for C1+ or RPi2 . Thanks

I really like the PS3 Bluetooth Blu-ray remote used with OpenElec. Nice arrangement of keys with sensible labels (AUDIO, SUBTITLE, Cursors, Numbers, full transport controls, coloured buttons etc.) and the current version has the bonus of IR remote control to let you control your TV (not just Sony) and AVR (sadly it won't control my Onkyo)

Couple it with a low-cost Bluetooth USB dongle (they are available in Pound stores in the UK) and it works really neatly (though make sure you enable the power saving bit in OpenElec to avoid running through batteries on the remote)

If you want a much smaller remote, then people say good things about the Fire TV Stick remote too (again coupled with a Bluetooth dongle)
Yes what Noggin said for Bluetooth.

Personally on the RPi2 I use a FLIRC usb IR Receiver, this thing is the most sensitive receiver I've ever seen. Point it at the wall behind the TV and it still works. Program any remote to it.

For the C1+ I just use it inbuilt IR receiver programmed to spare buttons on the TV remote.
Also recommended are Peanut shaped remotes like the Harmony ones, especially if they are backlit.

Another great RF remote is the Tivo Slide Pro - as long as you get it with the USB RF receiver dongle (it is sold both with and without as some new Tivos have RF built in)

http://kodi.wiki/view/Tivo_Slide_Pro

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AFTV vs Asus Google Nexus Player0