Cannot fast-forward/rewind recordings
Does the vbox plugin support fast-forwarding and rewinding recordings?

I tired this last night and found that the video just freezes.

So I'm wondering whether this isn't yet supported, or whether the issue is specific to my setup.

Fast-forwarding recordings can be very useful - for one thing it means you don't need to watch boring adverts Smile

I'm happy to log an enhancement request if required.
The addon just gives Kodi a URL to play so everything should work just like any other streamed file. Have you tested with both in-progress recordings and finished ones?
I've only tested with finished recordings - I've not tried with an in-progress one yet

I'll have another look and see if I can spot anything - and if not I may post a debug log if that's OK.

Another thought I have...I configured my vbox to record to a Samba share on my NAS device.
All 3 devices (kodi, NAS & vbox) are on the same LAN, and all using 100MBit Ethernet connections, so I don't think latency should be an issue.

I might try hooking up a USB storage device to the vbox instead and see whether that works any better.
I'll also upgrade to the latest development build, as I'm a week or so out of date at the moment.
OK I did some more testing over the weekend using the Samba Share, and also by altering the vbox to record to a USB stick that I plugged into the back.

It seems that if I try to skip to a part of the stream that hasn't been buffered, then kodi freezes up and never returns.

HD Recording Located on Samba Share (roughly a 4GB / 1hr file)

I can Fast Forward at x2 speed, but anything faster and kodi freezes.
My Skip +30s button causes kodi to freeze when pressed just once.

SD Recording Located on Samba Share

I can Fast Forward upto x16 speed, but anything faster and kodi freezes.
My Skip +30s button causes kodi to freeze when pressed just once.

HD Recording Location on USB Stick plugged into VBox

I can Fast Forward upto x8 speed, but anything faster and kodi freezes
Again, my Skip +30s button causes kodi to freeze when pressed just once.

SD Recording Location on USB Stick plugged into VBox

I can Fast Forward upto x16 speed, but anything faster and kodi freezes
Again, my Skip +30s button causes kodi to freeze when pressed just once.

In all above cases, when kodi freezes it never returns to playing the video by it's own accord, and hitting pause/play/fast-forward/rewind has no bearing.
At this point, then only thing I can do is hit Exit or Return, and kodi will eventually go back to the main menus etc after around 10 seconds.

If I access the files kodi has written to the Samba Share using "Add Source" (rather than via the plugin), then these same files can be fast-forwarded/skipped without any issues when played directly from the Samba Share.

I have other video plugins (e.g. BBC iPlayer, ITVPlayer YouTube) and I can skip around the streams using these Apps without any problems.

I tried upgrading to the latest kodi development build, but this had no bearing.

My initial suspicion is that this is another vbox issue, but I was wondering whether anyone else have the same problems when fast-forwarding recorded streams via the vbox plugin?

Is there anything else I can do to help alleviate the issue? Shall I provide a debug log for analysis?
FTR: I had a search around and found this: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16249 and this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=235297 which seem related?
The issues you linked to are not relevant to this, though I still don't understand why this happens at all. The addon just gives Kodi a URL to play so if that doesn't work then it's either a Kodi issue or a VBox issue, it just can't be an addon issue.
I had another look over the weekend, and have now gathered a debug log - see here: http://pastebin.com/8mVGfis9

When I hit play on a recording it takes around 40 seconds for it to start the playback.

I have now discovered that when it freezes, if I leave it long enough it does eventually get there though I have to wait around 40-50 seconds :-(

I'm starting to wonder if this is more of a vbox issue, and I'm hoping that the debug logfile may tell us something?
Did you ever find a solution to this?
Nope...due to this and several other issue such as the epg randomly disappearing I ended up ditching the vbox plugin. I now route my vbox through tvheadend and use the tvheadend plugin. I find this far more stable, and am even able to use the series recording with the latest jarvis beta. I really hope the vbox plugin is improved at some point in the future, at which point I may move back to using it. However at the moment in my opinion its not really fit for purpose, and has very limited dev resource.
Could you tell me how you set it up using tvheaded plugin? I would really appreciated it. If i could get series record I would be very happy. As the vbox app is a bit slow.I have contacted the dev of the box plug in but have had no feed back from them. Thanks in advance
Hi mjcuk, if you goto this page:http://kodi.wiki/view/VBox_Home_TV_Gateway

You'll see there is a section towards the bottom on tvheadend and links to a script for importing your vbox channels into tvhradend.
Hello thanks for the info.

The tvheadend is that running on Linux box or are you running it on android?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot fast-forward/rewind recordings0