Last Played / In Progress Playlist For Files Not In Library
How can I accomplish an "In Progress" (and/or similarly, "Recently Played") playlist that works for files not in the library?

Kodi clearly does have information on 'In Progress' (non-library) files in its database, as it allows them to be resumed, including across devices with MySQL:

However, no Smart Playlist I've tried will list any items unless those items are also in the library. For example:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="mixed">
    <name>In Progress</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="inprogress" operator="true" />
</smartplaylist>

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
    <smartplaylist type="mixed">
        <name>Recently Played</name>
        <match>all</match>
        <rule field="lastplayed" operator="inthelast">
            <value>12 weeks</value>
        </rule>
        <order direction="descending">lastplayed</order>
    </smartplaylist>

There are many reasons why not requiring an item to be in the library before such functionality would work is meaningful. For instance:
*Videos that could never be identified by a scraper (i.e. home videos, commercials, random clips downloaded from the internet, one-time TV specials in foreign languages, very old archival footage, etc)
*Videos that shouldn't be added to the library (i.e. a movie on the local system, vs on the shared location referenced by shared MySQL library)
*Videos the user simply doesn't want added to the library (for privacy reasons)

Without any sort of "recently played" or "in progress" list, I constantly find myself navigating around trying to figure out where I left off. Sometimes I've resorted to writing down my list manually in a separate textfile, which I then have to look up prior to manually browsing around to those files. This seems very silly & unnecessarily cumbersome, but try & Google as I might, I've been unable to figure out a solution to the (seemingly) simple problem of make a playlist of recently-played files (not library items).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I'm using Confluence (my preferred skin).
As you have seen Smile now we can have the last played for library and non library items
279131 (thread)

All feedback is very welcome!
Smart playlists, utilize listings in the library, consequently you need to have the item in the library. Your reasoning may be correct, but that's just not how it works. Work around is queue the items you want, and save the queue. Basic playlists (wiki) Select item you want to queue, hold down menu to bring up the contextual menu and select "queue item", repeat as many times as you want, then bring up the contextual menu. You should see a list of everything that you've queued. You can even bring up the contextual menu there and change the order of the entries or even remove an entry.

You might also want to explore Add-on:Super Favourites (wiki)
Yeah, I know about that workaround, still isn't what I'm after tho: the need to pre-build lists from which I watch. In any case, thankfully after many years, rodrigl seems to have solved this, returning what I see to be such an essential feature, which all of my smart TVs and other players do include. So...yay!!! Smile
I just installed this and found it plays videos not in the library. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=279131

@rodrigl didn't follow up the link, quite the effort and works wonders and pretty much answers the op's post and I see he has found it, satisfying solution to a clearly needed extra.
Hi PatK,

I'm more or less new here, so I dont understand the 'didn't follow up the link'.

Is it forum netiquette, or related to the addon?
If it is something that I should or could have done, all advise is appreciated!
(2016-08-23, 00:59)rodrigl Wrote: Hi PatK,

I'm more or less new here, so I dont understand the 'didn't follow up the link'.

Is it forum netiquette, or related to the addon?
If it is something that I should or could have done, all advise is appreciated!

You posted as message #2 while I wailed on in message #3, until I tried your great program, and found it not only filled the op's needs but some of my own. so it's a bit of forum netiquette and my shortcomings not yours.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Last Played / In Progress Playlist For Files Not In Library0